1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    Hi peeps!

I was reading Haaser-Sullivan's Real Analysis and came across a problem for which I have a doubt. A part of it is stated like this : " For all x in the closed interval [a,b] in R, |g'(x)|<=1 '' (g(x) is, of course, a real-valued function of a real variable and that's all we know about it). Does that mean that for all x in [a,b], g'(x) is defined or that for all x in [a,b] such that g'(x) is defined, |g(x)|<=1?

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 27, 2010 #2

HallsofIvy

Science Advisor

Re: Derivative!

I would interpret it as saying that g'(x) is defined and between -1 and 1, for all x in [a,b].

4. Jul 27, 2010 #3

That's what I thought, thanks! I haven't touched the formal definition of differentiability, but in Calculus I learned that a function was differentiable on [a,b] iff its derivative exists on [a,b]. So the condition stated above is enough to show differentiability on [a,b] and thus, continuity and contraction?

5. Jul 27, 2010 #4

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

I think that all we can say is that since |g'(x)| is defined at every x in the interval, then |g(x)| is continuous on the same interval, but that g(x) is not necessarily continuous.

What do you mean by "contraction?" Are you saying that |g(x)| <= x?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook