1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reading up on what Geophysics is

1. Nov 22, 2009 #1
    Heya, i live in the UK and at the moment i'm doing alot of research as to what i want to specialize in in the future. Now i've done quite a bit of reading up on what Geophysics actually is, but i just cant nail the whats its really about.

Some places i read its about harnessing the earth's resources such as oil and fuel etc etc. And in some cases, its about monitering natural distasters, how earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunami's come about (which to be honest is more of what i'm looking for :P).

So i just wanted to know; what does a geophysicist really do, also, is this course an established course offered by many universities?

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 25, 2009 #2
    Re: Geophysics!

Ok, so i've read up alot more things online that tickle my fancies and i find myself most interested in the space activities that effect the earth. Things such as Gamma ray bursts that cause events such as the 2004 tsunami. The effect of Solar flares on the earth etc.

I would really like to know what subject area covers these kind things, because it's what fascinates me the most.

It it Geology? Is it Astrophysics? Is it Geophysics?

Please help!

4. Feb 18, 2010 #3

As a geophysicist, you can work in private industry or government. There are a couple of different fields of Geophysics: Acquisition, Processing, and Interpretation. Acquisition, you would do fieldwork to collect data. Processing, you would process the data. In interpretation, you interpret the processed data. You can spend your whole career in either of these or be a hybrid Geophysicist and do all of the above.

5. Feb 18, 2010 #4

well here's your first lesson: gamma ray bursts don't cause earthquakes, plate tectonics does

6. Feb 19, 2010 #5

I'm really not sure where you got that idea, but..no. Gamma ray bursts are explosions of sorts from (hopefully is stays this way!) extremely distant stars. Tsunami's are the result of earthquakes (or a similar event) that has sufficient output energy to force the water in such a way so as to create the giant wave.

For geophysics, have a look at this:
    http://www.prospects.ac.uk/p/types_of_job/print/geophysicist_field_seismologist.jsp [Broken]

You could also speak with your school careers advisor, and finally: yes, lots of institutions in the UK offer geophysics degrees.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  7. Feb 20, 2010 #6

:rofl:

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if there were few earthquakes if the Earth was hit by a GRB. If it were close enough to do that, though, it would fry every living thing on the planet...

8. Feb 20, 2010 #7

haha, yes, i suppose the better way of putting it is: lets hope BRGs don't cause earthquakes

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook