1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible for a geophysics major to get into astronomy/physics research?

1. Dec 7, 2012 #1
    Hi,

so I was initially planning on becoming a geologist, the subject does interest me but a major motivation for this was of course the money. Anyways I would always try to squeeze in astronomy classes as my electives and would spend a lot of time reading and watching documentaries about astronomy and physics.

So when my room mate asked why I wasn't doing a minor in physics or astronomy, it kind of set of a spark in my mind and I went even further and decided I would major in it. Being quite far into a geology degree the only reasonable option was to do a geophysics degree.

Sorry for the long background story, here is the real question.

So I know that geophysics is an excellent degree to have in terms of getting a job. However if I did decide to go to grad school, I just could not see myself enjoying geophysics. My passion is definitely more in the field of astronomy and "traditional" physics (not sure how to describe that, I think you all get what I mean though). I was just wondering if it is possible to make this shift when getting into grad school?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2012 #2
    I'm in sort of the opposite position right now... A physics major who's trying out geophysics. I'm also interested to hear what others have to say.

4. Dec 8, 2012 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Usually it would depend on the specific courses you took in your program, but in general, a geophysics undergrad degree covers enough physics to qualify you for graduate school in other programs.

You may want to enquire at a few of the programs you're interested in for specific judgements. There is a lot of common ground I would think between geophysics, planetary science and even imaging.

5. Dec 10, 2012 #4
    You can go into planetary science. like choppy said.
    i was wondering about this as well so i contacted my earth sciences head and a lot of geologists go into planetary sciences.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook