Real Analysis related to Least Upper Bound

In summary: However, if we take any x in the domain of the function, then there exists a y such that f(y) = x. This means that p(x) and q(x) are not satisfied, since they would be saying that there exists a y such that f(y) = x, which is not true.
braindead101
Give an example of a function f for which [tex]\exists s \epsilon R P(s)[/tex] ^ Q(s) ^ U(s)
P(s) is [tex]\forall x \epsilon R f(x) >= s[/tex]
Q(s) is [tex]\forall t \epsilon R ( P(t) => s >= t )[/tex]
U(s) is [tex]\exists y\epsilon R s.t. \forall x\epsilon R (f(x) = s => x = y)
[/tex]
So this was actually a two part question, and this is the second part, the first part involved the function f(x) = sin(x) for which P(s)^Q(s)^U(s) could never be true.
I am not sure how to approach this, should I just think of random functions? or is there a logical way to do this.

The only thing I know is what I found from the first part of this question which is
P(s) defines the lower bound when true
Q(s) defines the greatest lower bound when true
U(s) I'm not so sure, I think something along the lines of y exist in reals, so the function must be all values of reals.. but this makes no sense as the function would not be bounded then. so I guess I am wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
dear braindead101
let us consider a function [tex]f[/tex] such that [tex]f(0) =0[/tex] and [tex] f(x) \neq 0 \forall x \in \mathbf{R}\backslash\{0\} [/tex]. Does U(0) hold?

okay so, f(x) does not equal 0 for all x in reals, and then what does the last part mean? the backslash {0}

[tex] \mathbf{R} \backslash \{0\} [/tex] is the set R with the element 0 removed. well i will give you an example of what i had in mind.
consider the function f(x)=x.
U(x) will hold for all x because f is a bijective map, so the inverse image of each [tex]y \in R [/tex] will consist of a set with one element.

so f(x) = x but with no 0
i don't understand how p(x) and q(x) will be satisfied, arn't they not bounded in f(x) = x?

braindead101 said:
so f(x) = x but with no 0
i don't understand how p(x) and q(x) will be satisfied, arn't they not bounded in f(x) = x?

dear braindead101
i gave you an example of an function where U(s) holds for all s because you seemed unsure about what the meaning of U(s) is. Of course you are looking after a function which has a unique minimum (so that p(x) and q(x) will be satisfied).

1. What is the definition of a least upper bound in real analysis?

A least upper bound, also known as the supremum, is the smallest number that is greater than or equal to all the elements in a set. In other words, it is the smallest upper bound for a given set of numbers.

2. How is the least upper bound property used in real analysis?

The least upper bound property states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a least upper bound. This property is used to prove the existence of limits, continuity, and other important concepts in real analysis.

3. Can a set have more than one least upper bound?

No, a set can only have one least upper bound. This is because if there were two different least upper bounds for a set, they would both be smaller than each other, which is a contradiction to the definition of a least upper bound.

4. How is the least upper bound related to the completeness property in real analysis?

The completeness property in real analysis states that every non-empty set of real numbers that is bounded above has a supremum. This is equivalent to the existence of a least upper bound for a set, and thus the two concepts are closely related.

5. What is the significance of the least upper bound in real analysis?

The least upper bound is a fundamental concept in real analysis that allows us to define and prove important concepts such as limits, continuity, and convergence. It also helps us understand the properties of real numbers and their relationship to sets.