1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Analysis related to Least Upper Bound

1. Jan 16, 2008 #1
    Give an example of a function f for which [tex]\exists s \epsilon R P(s)[/tex] ^ Q(s) ^ U(s)
    P(s) is [tex]\forall x \epsilon R f(x) >= s[/tex]
    Q(s) is [tex]\forall t \epsilon R ( P(t) => s >= t )[/tex]
    U(s) is [tex]\exists y\epsilon R s.t. \forall x\epsilon R (f(x) = s => x = y)
    So this was actually a two part question, and this is the second part, the first part involved the function f(x) = sin(x) for which P(s)^Q(s)^U(s) could never be true.
    I am not sure how to approach this, should I just think of random functions? or is there a logical way to do this.

The only thing I know is what I found from the first part of this question which is
    P(s) defines the lower bound when true
    Q(s) defines the greatest lower bound when true
    U(s) I'm not so sure, I think something along the lines of y exist in reals, so the function must be all values of reals.. but this makes no sense as the function would not be bounded then. so I guess I am wrong.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jan 17, 2008 #2
    dear braindead101
    let us consider a function [tex]f[/tex] such that [tex]f(0) =0[/tex] and [tex] f(x) \neq 0 \forall x \in \mathbf{R}\backslash\{0\} [/tex]. Does U(0) hold?
  4. Jan 17, 2008 #3
    okay so, f(x) does not equal 0 for all x in reals, and then what does the last part mean? the backslash {0}
  5. Jan 17, 2008 #4
    [tex] \mathbf{R} \backslash \{0\} [/tex] is the set R with the element 0 removed. well i will give you an example of what i had in mind.
    consider the function f(x)=x.
    U(x) will hold for all x because f is a bijective map, so the inverse image of each [tex]y \in R [/tex] will consist of a set with one element.
  6. Jan 17, 2008 #5
    so f(x) = x but with no 0
    i don't understand how p(x) and q(x) will be satisfied, arn't they not bounded in f(x) = x?
  7. Jan 18, 2008 #6
    dear braindead101
    i gave you an example of an function where U(s) holds for all s because you seemed unsure about what the meaning of U(s) is. Of course you are looking after a function which has a unique minimum (so that p(x) and q(x) will be satisfied).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?