Real and Complex Parts of a Wave Function

Just remember that \Psi^{*} is not the complex portion of the function, but rather the complex conjugate of the function. Therefore, it is a mirror image of the function across the real axis. In summary, the problem involves finding the probability current for a free particle using the given wave function, \Psi = Ae^{i(kx-\frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}. The first step is to find the complex conjugate of this function, which is \Psi^{*} = Ae^{-i(kx-\frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}. From there, the probability current can be calculated using the formula \Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}
Rahmuss

Homework Statement

Just a snipit of one of my homework problems. I'm trying to find out what [tex]\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}{\partial x}[/tex] equals to help me find out what the probability current for a given free particle is.

Homework Equations

[tex]\Psi = Ae^{i(kx-\frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I view [tex]\Psi^{*}[/tex] as the complex part of the given wave function; but in this case there is no real part, it's all complex. Does that mean the real part is zero? If so then [tex]\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}{\partial x} = 0[/tex]. If [tex]\Psi = \Psi^{*}[/tex], then the larger equation I'm trying to calculate comes out to be zero because it's:

[tex]\Psi \frac{\partial \Psi^{*}}{\partial x} - \Psi^{*} \frac{\partial \Psi}{\partial x}[/tex]

So what am I missing here? Does it actually have a zero probability current because it's a "free particle" (whatever that really means)?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you've been misinformed somewhere. The starred notation means the complex conjugate (certainly if this is quantum mechanics HW) of the function. Basically to find the complex conjugate of a complex function you reverse the sign in front of any i. For example:

If we have a general complex number z = a + ib then it has a complex conjugate of z* = a - ib.

There is more information about complex conjugates here:

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ComplexConjugate.html

Last edited:
Kurdt - Ah, brilliant. Ok, yes, I do remember it being the conjugate. I think in my mind I had the idea that it dealt with something complex (I don't mean complicated; but [tex]i[/tex] ), and so I must have mentally given it the value of the complex portion of the wave function. Thanks for that clarification.

So, if I understand correctly, then in the case listed I would have

[tex]\Psi = Ae^{i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}[/tex]
and
[tex]\Psi^{*} = Ae^{-i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}[/tex]​

If that's correct, then I think I can figure it out. Thanks for the help. I'll jump back on later if I need more help; but for now it's off to class.

Rahmuss said:
So, if I understand correctly, then in the case listed I would have

[tex]\Psi = Ae^{i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}[/tex]
and
[tex]\Psi^{*} = Ae^{-i(kx - \frac{\hbar k^{2}t}{2m})}[/tex]​

If that's correct, then I think I can figure it out. Thanks for the help. I'll jump back on later if I need more help; but for now it's off to class.

Yeah that's it basically.

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of a physical system, typically used in quantum mechanics. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time.

2. What are the real and complex parts of a wave function?

The real part of a wave function represents the amplitude or intensity of the wave, while the complex part represents the phase or position of the wave. Together, they form the complete wave function.

3. How are the real and complex parts related?

The real and complex parts of a wave function are related through the Euler's formula: e^(iθ) = cos(θ) + i*sin(θ). This formula allows us to convert between the complex numbers and the trigonometric functions of the real and imaginary parts.

4. What is the significance of the complex part in a wave function?

The complex part of a wave function is important because it determines the interference and diffraction patterns of waves. It also allows us to calculate the probability of finding a particle at a certain position and time, which is crucial in quantum mechanics.

5. How are the real and complex parts measured?

The real and complex parts of a wave function are not directly measurable. Instead, they are derived from the observed results of experiments and calculations. However, we can indirectly measure the real and complex parts by using mathematical operations on the wave function and analyzing the resulting patterns.