Real numbers as powers of real exponents

In summary, the conversation discusses whether all real numbers can be written as n^p, where n and p are real numbers, and gives examples of values for n and p that satisfy this equation. The conversation also explores the convergence of a series and the various approaches to determining its convergence.
kulix
Just a quick question for you guys, I've been unable to find the answer to this. Can all real numbers be written as n^p, where p is a real number?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
What is n??

Anyway, negative numbers can't be written in that form.

Ok, let me restate. Can all positive real numbers x be written as n^p, where n and p are real numbers?

Or

if n < n * sqrt(n^2-1) < n^2, does that mean there exists p such that n * sqrt (n^2 -1) = n^p ?

Yeah. Take n=x and p=1. This even holds for negative numbers, so I guess my first reply wasn't quite correct.

Oh, mine wasn't complete, p needs to be different from 1.

The better question;

if n < n * sqrt(n^2-1) < n^2, does that mean there exists p such that n * sqrt (n^2 -1) = n^p ?

Take [itex]n=\sqrt[3]{x}[/itex] and p=3.

Oh dear. Let me try this:

let S be a series from 2 to infinity of 1 / (n*sqrt(n^2 -1)).

Can you write S as 1/n^p?

kulix said:

This would force

[tex]p=\log_n{n\sqrt{n^2-1}}[/tex]

This is ok if the logarithm exists. For that, we need n>0, n≠1 and [itex]n\sqrt{n^2-1}>0[/itex].

Also, if you're looking for an expression for p when the number n is fixed, then p is the logarithm (base n) of x. That is, given[tex]x=n^p[/tex]you take logs on both sides,[tex]\ln x = \ln (n^p) = p \ln n[/tex]and thus[tex]p = \frac {\ln x}{\ln n}[/tex]so any positive x can be expressed this way (p will be negative for x<1, zero for x=1 and positive for x>1).

P.S.: Oops, two posts got in the middle while I was writing this. I was intending to continue after post #6.

Perfect, thank you!

kulix said:
Oh dear. Let me try this:

let S be a series from 2 to infinity of 1 / (n*sqrt(n^2 -1)).

Can you write S as 1/n^p?

This question makes no sense. In the series S, your variable n is the dummy variable and thus ranges over all positive integers. In your last sentence, n has become a fixed number.

My bad again, what I meant to say is can you write it as a series of 1/n^p.

It seems to me like you just want to check convergence of the series. Why can't you just do a comparison test with

[tex]\sum C\frac{1}{n^2}[/tex]

where C is a constant.

Indeed I do, and yes I could do that. However, I'm interested in knowing if my approach is acceptable.

The problem with your approach is that (generally) your p will be dependent on n.

So if you follow Dodo's and my hints, then you won't end up with

[tex]\sum \frac{1}{n^p}[/tex]

but rather with something in the exponent which is also dependent of n. This makes the situation harder.

Unfortunately, I used my approach on an exam, that's why I'm so keen on knowing if it's correct. Would have used the comparison, but alas, I didn't occur to me at the time.

The most straightforward way to determine the accuracy of your solution without waiting to get your exam back is to just post the full question and your full solution. I'm not sure what you would even do after re-writing your series as 1/np if you didn't know what the value of p is

1. What are real numbers as powers of real exponents?

Real numbers as powers of real exponents are numbers that can be expressed as a base number raised to an exponent, where both the base and the exponent are real numbers. This notation is often used to represent numbers that are too large or too small to be written out in standard decimal form.

2. How do you read a real number as a power of a real exponent?

To read a real number as a power of a real exponent, you say the base number followed by the word "to the power of" and then the exponent. For example, 10 to the power of 3 would be read as "10 to the power of 3" or "10 cubed".

3. What is the difference between a real number and a real exponent?

A real number is any number that can be found on the number line, including integers, fractions, decimals, and irrational numbers. A real exponent, on the other hand, is a number that is used to represent repeated multiplication of a base number by itself. It is often written as a superscript to the base number, such as 5³.

4. Can real numbers be raised to any real exponent?

Yes, real numbers can be raised to any real exponent. This includes positive exponents, negative exponents, and fractional exponents. However, some combinations of base numbers and real exponents may result in complex numbers, which include both a real and imaginary component.

5. How are real numbers as powers of real exponents useful in science?

Real numbers as powers of real exponents are useful in science because they allow us to represent very large or very small quantities in a more compact and manageable way. This notation is often used in fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to represent values such as distances, masses, and concentrations.