Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Real Numbers vs Extended Real Numbers

1. Oct 27, 2011 #1
    Today I watched a lecture that talked about the extended reals, ℝ U {+infinity, -infinity}.

Every course I've taken so far (differential calculus through multivariable calculus, linear algebra, a proofs writing course, etc) always defined the Reals with just they symbol ℝ and we always included infinity and negative infinity.

Were all of my teachers just using ℝ as shorthand for ℝ U {+infinity, -infinity} or is there some fundamental difference?

Actually, I shouldn't ask on this forum what my teachers were doing, but rather, is it commonplace to use ℝ as shorthand for the extended reals?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2011 #2

lurflurf

Homework Helper

It is not common and a bad ideal to use R to denote extended reals as it might be confused with the reals better to use [tex]\mathbb{\overline{R}}[/tex] or something.

4. Oct 27, 2011 #3
    So do the reals, R, have infinity? How would you define the boundaries?

5. Oct 27, 2011 #4

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

By its very definition, the reals do not have infinity. And the reals do not have a boundary (i.e. the boundary is empty).

6. Oct 27, 2011 #5
    okay thanks.

one last question: is 1/∞ an indeterminate form or does it equal zero exactly. I know the limit as n approached infinity of 1/∞ = zero, but what about the equation.

I ask because I've read posts where people say it equals exactly zero and even two professors (one in my class, the other on a youtube lecture) differed in the answer.

7. Oct 27, 2011 #6

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

This depends on the situation:

- In the real numbers, there is no thing as [itex]\infty[/itex]. So [itex]1/\infty[/itex] is nonsense.

- In the extended reals, we do define [itex]1/\infty =0[/itex]. But things like 1/0 are still undefined.

- When working with limits, if we encounter a limit of the type [itex]1/\infty[/itex], then the limit is 0. For example

[tex]\lim_{x\rightarrow +\infty}{\frac{1}{x}}=0[/tex]

Also see the following FAQ: https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=507003 [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook