Real numbers x and y, f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1. If f(1)=2, what is f(3)?

In summary, the function f has the property that f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1 and f(1)=2. To find f(3), we can use the given information to find f(2), which is equal to f(1+1). By the property of f, we know that f(1+1)=f(1)+f(1)+1. Therefore, f(2)=f(1)+f(1)+1=2+2+1=5. From this, we can conclude that f(3)=f(2)+f(1)+1=5+2+1=8.
Xasuke
Ok, I'm sure this is an easy problem and all, but it's pissing me off. I'm probably just not understanding it.

The function f has the property that for any real numbers x and y, f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1. If f(1)=2, what is f(3)?

help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use the information provided to find f(2) from which f(3) = 8 follows.

wow... I feel completely lost.
How do I find f(2)?

f(2)=f(1+1)

If you are given that f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1

then it would be logical to conclude that

f(1+1)=f(1)+f(1)+1 and I think you can take it from there

Oh my.. Thanks. I'm such an idiot =)

1. What is the equation f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1 used for?

The equation f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1 is used to determine the relationship between the values of a function for two different inputs (x and y) and the sum of those inputs.

2. What is the significance of f(1)=2 in this problem?

f(1)=2 is given as an initial condition or "starting point" for the function. It tells us that when the input is 1, the output of the function is 2.

3. How can we use f(1)=2 to find the value of f(3)?

We can use the equation f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1 to manipulate the given information. By plugging in x=1 and y=2, we get f(3)=f(1)+f(2)+1. Since we know that f(1)=2, we can substitute that in and get f(3)=2+f(2)+1. This means that in order to find the value of f(3), we need to determine the value of f(2).

4. How can we find the value of f(2)?

Using the equation f(x+y)=f(x)+f(y)+1, we can plug in x=1 and y=1 to get f(2)=f(1)+f(1)+1. Since we know that f(1)=2, we can substitute that in and get f(2)=2+2+1=5.

5. What is the final answer for f(3)?

Using the value we found for f(2) in the previous question, we can substitute that into our equation for f(3), f(3)=2+f(2)+1=2+5+1=8. Therefore, the final answer for f(3) is 8.