Im trying to determine the y and x intercepts of this line.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Kirito123
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Line
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 2K views
Kirito123
Messages
124
Reaction score
14

Homework Statement


I am trying to determine the x- and y-intercepts of the line 3x – 5y + 15 = 0.

Homework Equations


standard form

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

To find the x-intercept (where the line crosses the x-axis), substitute 0 in for y:
3x + 5y + 15 = 0 (substituted 0 in for y)
3x + 5(0) + 15 = 0 (multiply 5 by 0)
3x + 15 = 0 (Next ,subtract 15 from both sides)
3x = -15 (divided both sides by 3)
x = -5
x-intercept = -5.I will use this method to solve for the y-intercept.To find the y-intercept (where the line crosses the y-axis), substitute 0 in for x:
3x + 5y + 15 = 0 (substituted 0 in for x)
3(0) + 5y + 15 = 0 (multiply 3 by 0)
5y + 15 = 0 (Next ,subtract 15 from both sides)
5y = -15 (divided both sides by 5)
y = -3
y-intercept = -3I'm pretty sure I did it correct but i just want to be sure I understand what I'm doing and answering it correctly. Also can you guys tell me if my way is like clear, as in you can understand it. Thx a lot :)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Kirito123 said:

Homework Statement


I am trying to determine the x- and y-intercepts of the line 3x – 5y + 15 = 0.

Homework Equations


standard form

The Attempt at a Solution

:[/B]

To find the x-intercept (where the line crosses the x-axis), substitute 0 in for y:
3x + 5y + 15 = 0 (substituted 0 in for y)
3x + 5(0) + 15 = 0 (multiply 5 by 0)
3x + 15 = 0 (Next ,subtract 15 from both sides)
3x = -15 (divided both sides by 3)
x = -5
x-intercept = -5.I will use this method to solve for the y-intercept.To find the y-intercept (where the line crosses the y-axis), substitute 0 in for x:
3x + 5y + 15 = 0 (substituted 0 in for x)
3(0) + 5y + 15 = 0 (multiply 3 by 0)
5y + 15 = 0 (Next ,subtract 15 from both sides)
5y = -15 (divided both sides by 5)
y = -3
y-intercept = -3I'm pretty sure I did it correct but i just want to be sure I understand what I'm doing and answering it correctly. Also can you guys tell me if my way is like clear, as in you can understand it. Thx a lot :)

It seems correct, but why do you substitute? Do you understand that?
 
Kirito123 said:
Sorry what do you mean by bold?

Nothing, was just a code error. Could you answer the question so I can see whether you understand why you can do this to solve the exercice?
 
Well my dad kinda just taught me this way, so you would try to isolate the variable y( you can start with x but I am starting with y). so to isolate the variable i have to move some values to the other side of the equations. I searched online and it said i should substitute the variable y for 0. I don't know why but i did ( my dad didnt tell me to do that i did it on my own). So I did and continue the way my dad taught me and got my final result.
 
Kirito123 said:
Well my dad kinda just taught me this way, so you would try to isolate the variable y( you can start with x but I am starting with y). so to isolate the variable i have to move some values to the other side of the equations. I searched online and it said i should substitute the variable y for 0. I don't know why but i did ( my dad didnt tell me to do that i did it on my own). So I did and continue the way my dad taught me and got my final result.

Wel you can consider it this way. The y-axe has equation: x = 0, so this are all the points with x coordinate 0. You want to know where your line intersects with the y-axis, and you know that the x-coordinate should be 0. Since you say x = 0 in the equation, you will automatically get the y value corresponding with this x-value. Is this clear? (I need to go to school now btw, so I won't reply for a couple of hours)
 
Wow that really helps thanks a lot ill keep that in mind while i answer my next problem :)

thx you !