Is the Notation Implied for a Singleton Set or Can It Have Multiple Elements?

In summary, the notation "∃x,y∈" does not imply that x and y are distinct. So "z = 3 - 3" is valid. "z = 3 - null" is not a valid use of arithmatic subtraction. Null does not have an additive inverse.
zzmanzz

Homework Statement

For the following notation,

[tex] D \subseteq \{ z | \exists x,y \in S (z = x - y ) \} [/tex]

I'm wondering if S can only have one element, or does the notation imply that | S | > 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, if I have

[tex] S = \{ 3 \} [/tex]

is z = 3 - 3?

Or would it be z = 3 - null = 3?

This formula is part of another problem but I'm just confused about the notation before moving further.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
zzmanzz said:

Homework Statement

For the following notation,

[tex] D \subseteq \{ z | \exists x,y \in S (z = x - y ) \} [/tex]
IMO, D is not well defined, since the set notation doesn't say anything about x and y, other than "they exist." What set do x and y belong to? Can you supply some more context?
zzmanzz said:
I'm wondering if S can only have one element, or does the notation imply that | S | > 1

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

For example, if I have

[tex] S = \{ 3 \} [/tex]

is z = 3 - 3?

Or would it be z = 3 - null = 3?
I don't think so. Doing arithmetic with null doesn't make sense. My take on set D is that it's sort of the set of distances between x and y things, possibly belonging to two different sets.
zzmanzz said:
This formula is part of another problem but I'm just confused about the notation before moving further.
Thanks

The notation "∃x,y∈" does not imply that x and y are distinct. So "z = 3 - 3" is valid. "z = 3 - null" is not a valid use of arithmatic subtraction. Null does not have an additive inverse.

You have constructed a candidate set ##\{z\mid (\exists x,y\in S)(z= x-y)\} ##. You are collecting all such ##z## which can be represented as a sum defined in the set constructor. Naturally, the representation doesn't have to be unique. An element belongs to the set, if at least one such representation for it exists.

The base set ##S ## can be singleton. The statement ##\exists x,y \in S## doesn't require ##x\neq y ##. ##S## can also be empty.

I advise you to be careful with ##\{z\mid P(z)\} ##. Write instead ##\{z\in T\mid P(z)\} ##, this way, it is immediately clear that you end up with a set, provided ##P(z)## is a meaningful statement, since it is already contained as a subset in ## T##. (This is a result of the axiom schema of replacement)

Long story short, everything depends on the underlying set ##S ##. If you don't know what ##+ ## means, for instance, then your set isn't even well-defined.

Last edited:

1. What is set notation?

Set notation is a way to represent a set of elements or objects using mathematical symbols. It is used to describe the properties and relationships within a set.

2. What are the common symbols used in set notation?

The most common symbols used in set notation are:
- The curly braces { } to enclose the elements of a set
- The element symbol ∈ to indicate membership
- The subset symbol ⊆ to indicate that one set is a subset of another
- The union symbol ∪ to represent the combination of two sets
- The intersection symbol ∩ to represent the common elements between two sets

3. How is set notation useful in mathematics?

Set notation is useful in mathematics as it allows for a concise and precise way to describe sets and their relationships. It is also used in various mathematical operations and proofs.

4. What is the difference between a set and a subset?

A set is a collection of distinct elements, while a subset is a set that contains only elements that are also in another set. In other words, every element in a subset is also a member of the larger set.

5. How can I read and interpret set notation?

To read set notation, start with the curly braces which enclose the elements of the set. If there is a symbol between the braces, it represents a relationship between the elements. For example, A = {1, 2, 3} represents a set A with elements 1, 2, and 3. A = {x | x is a prime number} represents a set A with elements x, where x is a prime number. To interpret set notation, you can use the symbols and rules of set theory to understand the relationships between sets and their elements.