Really confused about what to do

• Thread starter narayan.rocks
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, the conversation revolves around a high school student in India who has completed Resnick and Haliiday's "Fundamentals of Physics" and has solved 200 problems in IE Irodov. The student is unsure whether to continue practicing and participate in the International Physics Olympiad or move on to more advanced topics like linear algebra and complex analysis. The advice given is to focus on depth of knowledge rather than range of knowledge and to prioritize completing the academic syllabus and solving challenging problems in the coursework forum.
narayan.rocks
Really confused about what to do...

I am a high school student in India starting grade 11 . i have completed Resnick and Haliiday's "Fundamentals of physics" . then i bought IE Irodov and solved about 200 problems in it and found it fairly easy ( very less number of challenging problems ) . I learned single variable and multi variable calculus and now I am learning differential equations

Now I am really unsure of what i should do , should i keep practicing what i learned till now and give a shot at the International Physics Olympiad . As i want to get admitted in a good university having an olympiad medal will give me a better chance of getting selected .

Or should i go for more advanced topics like Linear algebra , Complex analysis etc . What advantage will i have by having knowledge of these advanced topics before i enter university ?

Please give me some guidance

Physics news on Phys.org

Depth of Knowledge is always better than Range of Knowledge.
Just study the stuffs which is in you academic syllabus and give it your best.Perfection is Everything. Just imagine you have completed by yourself till Graduate Level of Physics and when someone ask you to Explain or solve some question in High School Book and that time you are not able to do that.How do you feel.
If you want the challenge then complete you Academic Syllabus and start solving problem asked in Homework and Coursework Forum they seems good enough challenging.

1. What are some steps I can take to figure out what to do?

First, try to identify what specifically is causing your confusion. Is it a lack of information or options? Is it conflicting advice or values? Once you pinpoint the source of your confusion, you can brainstorm potential solutions or seek guidance from others.

2. How can I make a decision when I have multiple options?

One approach is to make a pros and cons list for each option and weigh them against each other. You can also prioritize your values and goals to see which option aligns best. It may also be helpful to consult with someone you trust for their perspective.

3. What if I make the wrong decision?

Remember that mistakes are a natural part of life and can offer important learning opportunities. If you do make a decision that doesn't turn out as expected, reflect on what went wrong and use that knowledge to make a better decision next time.

4. How can I deal with the pressure to make a decision quickly?

Take a step back and assess whether the time pressure is real or self-imposed. If it's the latter, give yourself permission to take more time to make a decision. If the time pressure is real, prioritize the most important factors and make a decision based on those.

5. What if I have too many options and can't decide?

Consider narrowing down your options by eliminating those that are not feasible or do not align with your values. You can also try a decision-making technique such as the "six thinking hats" or "weighted decision matrix" to help you evaluate your options more objectively.