I am confused about what I want to do

• Programs
  • Thread starter Gjmdp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Confused
In summary, this undergraduate student is unhappy with their course in Computer Science and wishes to switch to a different area of study. They acknowledge that some mathematics is required, but they feel that it is not too difficult and that the program they are attending does not offer a more theoretical focus. They also feel that the degree is focused more on job skills than on the student's long-term interests.
Gjmdp
I have just finished my 1st year as an undergraduate in Computer Science in the UK. Having always loved Mathematics up to an insane extreme, I was very disappointed with the course. It barely required any Maths, and most of the time it was just about arithmetic or simple discrete maths. I really thought Computer Science was going to be more mathematical (and harder to be honest, I barely studied this year), but it has turned out to be a rather practical field with a big emphasis on programming, and not so much focus on the theoretical aspect.

I want to be a researcher in Computer Science, or that is what I thought, but it really annoys me that I will not learn advanced mathematics on my course (yes, there is also Theoretical Computer Science but that is all). I have considered switching to Mathematics, but I don't see myself doing research in Mathematics.

I don't know what to do, and my school does not let me change to a Computer Science with Mathematics degree nor does it allow me to study more maths with my Computer Science curriculum. Should I change to Mathematics alone or stay in Computer Science?

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you are too early in your Computer Science studies, or you are attending the wrong school.

Are the subjects you are interested in offered at your school?? If you don't know, find out. If they are,make an appointment with the professor to discuss your problems. You need an advocate. if they are not you are in the wrong place.

Likes symbolipoint
symbolipoint said:
Maybe you are too early in your Computer Science studies, or you are attending the wrong school.
Oh well, I am attending the University of Manchester. I acknowledge that it does require some mathematics, but only in a few units, most of which are on the Artificial Intelligence track, and to be honest the math required on AI isn't that advanced or complex. Course units like Computer Engineering or Operating Systems don't require any Maths beyond simple arithmetic. Most course units provide some theoretical insight which can easily be crammed in 1-2 nights, and rather focus on programming assignments. I was expecting a more theoretical emphasis, but the program is focused on Industry skills. Is this all normal for a Computer Science degree?

Gjmdp said:
...my school does not let me change to a Computer Science with Mathematics degree nor does it allow me to study more maths with my Computer Science curriculum

This seems backwards to me. If a school doesn't have the specific program or combination of programs that you want, why not switch to a school that does?

The other thing I might add is that sometimes the first year in a program can seem somewhat easy because students who've been well prepared in their secondary school programs walk in already knowing a lot of the needed material. Other first year students have to play catch up. The difficulty will increase as you get into more advanced courses.

Either way, you might want to speak to an undergraduate advisor about all of this. Spend some time making sure that you're getting the education you want.

Choppy said:
This seems backwards to me. If a school doesn't have the specific program or combination of programs that you want, why not switch to a school that does?
It does offer a Computer Science with Mathematics program. However if I change to that program I will have to start again from year 1, with Computer Science modules I have already taken and passed. To be honest
the combined degree is 50% Computer Science and 50% Mathematics, so there is some Computer Science material that is not covered, such as Computer Architecture, and the same applies to Mathematics.

I hope that you are right and next year the difficulty increases on the theoretical aspect, but as of now it does seem that the program only wants to satisfy industry requirements, as 90% of students will become software engineers. This is a negative aspect of Computer Science: while in Mathematics or Physics majors students are passionated about their studies, most people are in Computer Science to get a good job.

1. What should I do if I am confused about what I want to do?

There is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question as everyone's situation and goals are different. However, some steps you can take include reflecting on your interests, values, and skills, seeking advice from mentors or career counselors, and exploring different options through internships or volunteer work. It's also important to remember that it's okay to not have everything figured out right away and to be open to trying new things.

2. How do I know if I am making the right career decision?

It's natural to have doubts and uncertainties when making a big decision like choosing a career. One way to gain more clarity is to research and gather information about different career options, such as job responsibilities, salary, and growth opportunities. Additionally, talking to people in the field you are interested in and gaining hands-on experience through internships or job shadowing can help you make a more informed decision.

3. What if I choose the wrong career path?

It's important to remember that your career path is not set in stone and it's okay to change direction if you realize that your current path is not the right fit for you. Many successful individuals have had multiple career changes throughout their lives. It's important to be open to new opportunities and to continue learning and growing in your chosen field.

4. How do I balance my passions and practicality when choosing a career?

It can be challenging to find a career that aligns with both your passions and practical needs. One approach is to consider how your passions can be applied in different industries or job roles. You can also think about your priorities and what is most important to you in a career, whether it's job satisfaction, work-life balance, or financial stability. It's also helpful to seek advice from professionals in your desired field to gain insight into the realities of the job.

5. Can I change my career path later on?

Yes, it is possible to change your career path at any point in your life. With continuous learning and development, it's never too late to pursue a different career. It's important to always stay open to new opportunities and to be willing to take risks and try new things. Remember that your career is a journey, and it's okay to make changes along the way.