Really easy but difficult problem with temps

• Thread starter korec123
  • Start date
In summary: Yes, I would like to learn how to do that.In summary, PeroK said that if you mix the coffee and milk immediately, the coffee will lose heat quickly. If you mix the coffee and milk at a later time, the milk will lose heat quickly.
korec123

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have got this question. At first sorry for some mistakes
We have 2 hot coffes and and milk with room temp. We have long distance to go with this coffes through the room with room temp :). Which coffe will have higher temp after going through the room : this mixed with milk at first or this mixed with milk after going through long room and why
Only the time of adding milk is diffrent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking about it so long and i still thinking that it wound be the same. If we mix it at first the coffe will lose less energy to the air in the room and if we mix after coffe will lose less temp to heat the milk

Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
korec123 said:

Homework Statement

Hello,
I have got this question. At first sorry for some mistakes
We have 2 hot coffes and and milk with room temp. We have long distance to go with this coffes through the room with room temp :). Which coffe will have higher temp after going through the room : this mixed with milk at first or this mixed with milk after going through long room and why
Only the time of adding milk is diffrent.

The Attempt at a Solution

Im thinking about it so long and i still thinking that it wound be the same. If we mix it at first the coffe will lose less energy to the air in the room and if we mix after coffe will lose less temp to heat the milk

Please help me

Perhaps a good approach is to write down the assumptions about heat loss from coffee, milk and milk-coffee.

I was trying but still it doesn't give me anything. Can you write more or describe it?

korec123 said:
I was trying but still it doesn't give me anything. Can you write more or describe it?

Let's take two different sets of assumptions. These are extreme cases to illusrate the point:

a) Assume that milk and milk-coffee lose heat very slowly, but that coffee on its own loses heat very quickly.

In this case, it's easy to see that you should add the milk immediately and it will stay warm.

b) Assume that coffee loses heat very slowly, but milk and milk-coffee loses heat very quickly.

In this case, it's easy to see that you should add the milk at the end.

So, there is clearly no answer unless you make some assumptions about the relative heat loss in each case.

The heat transfer between the coffee and the milk will depend on two things. Do you know what they are?

The heat loss to the air will depend on the cooling constant. What can you assume about the cooling constant in each case?

About heat loss to the air , of course if i add milk first the heat loss will be smaller. I don't really know about heat transfer beetween coffe and milk

korec123 said:
About heat loss to the air , of course if i add milk first the heat loss will be smaller. I don't really know about heat transfer beetween coffe and milk

When you mix two substances, the heat transfer depends on:

1) The mass of each substance.
2) The specific heat capacity of each substance.

That is fairly elementary, I have to say.

To answer your problem properly, you have to use Newton's law of cooling and solve, or at least analyse, the resulting equations using your assumptions about the cooling constant in each case.

Evaporation should dominate the heat loss, and this reduces significantly if you cool down the coffee a bit.

Likes PeroK
mfb said:
Evaporation should dominate the heat loss, and this reduces significantly if you cool down the coffee a bit.

That's probably the answer they are looking for, although most coffee containers have lids these days!

Korec123:

If you really want to model this, as PeroK alluded to in post #6, we can help you do it, but you are going to have to participate. Interested?

Chet

1. What is the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps"?

The "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" refers to a common scientific phenomenon where a seemingly simple problem or concept becomes difficult to solve or understand due to the complexity of temperature changes and their effects on various substances.

2. What causes the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps"?

The "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" can be caused by a variety of factors, including the sensitivity of different materials to temperature changes, the nonlinear relationship between temperature and other variables, and the multitude of factors that can influence temperature in a given system.

3. How can scientists approach solving the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps"?

Scientists can approach solving the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" by carefully considering all possible variables and their effects on temperature, conducting thorough experiments and observations, and utilizing advanced mathematical and computational models to analyze and understand the complex relationship between temperature and other factors.

4. Why is the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" important to study?

Studying the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" is important because temperature is a fundamental factor in many scientific processes and systems, and understanding its effects can lead to advancements in fields such as chemistry, physics, and environmental science. Additionally, studying temperature can also help us better understand and mitigate the impacts of climate change.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps"?

The understanding of the "Really easy but difficult problem with temps" has practical applications in various industries, such as materials science, pharmaceuticals, and food and beverage production. It can also help us predict and manage weather patterns and natural disasters, as well as develop more efficient and sustainable energy sources.