1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really quick question about entropy

1. Nov 10, 2007 #1
    My question may be kind of a dumb question, but I tried searching for the explanation online and in my crappy textbook and my lecture notes are kinda unclear.

Consider 2 systems, A and B, that are brought into contact with each other, with accessible states W_A and W_B, respectively. After contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). Now, is this true for equilibrium and/or nonequilibrium?

My guess is that its at nonequilibrium because the net entropy must remain the same or increase, which leads to the 2nd law of thermodynamics

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    you actually may try the zeorth law of themodynamics whichstates that if a system a is i themal equilibrium with a system b and system b is in thermal equi. with system c then and c are also in thermal equi.
    i may have ans. your ques. wrong as it is unclesr to me

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    present quesstion in clear way

in above sentences :rofl:your confused me atAfter contact, the combined system then has (W_A)(W_B). in physics you must represent question in clear way to proper understading OK:smile::smile::smile:

5. Nov 13, 2007 #4
    Ok, after systems A and B are brought into contact, the total number of microstates in the combined system consisting of systems A and B, is equal to (W_A)*(W_B)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?