1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Question about Maximum Entropy

1. Apr 10, 2017 #1
    The second law of thermodynamics predicts the end of the life of the universe being one where thermal equilibrium exists throughout the universe (maximum entropy) - essentially all energy has been dissipated. My question is if according to the first law of thermodynamics which describes the conservation of energy (stating that energy cannot be destroyed) - where exactly can the energy be found once the state of maximum entropy has occurred?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 10, 2017 #2

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Everywhere

4. Apr 10, 2017 #3
    In what form? All I can imagine is velocity.

5. Apr 10, 2017 #4

Dale

Staff: Mentor

Equally in all available forms. Otherwise entropy would not be maximized.

6. Apr 11, 2017 #5
    If you can name some specific examples of exactly what and where the energy is. Roger Penrose states that towards the dying end of the universe the electrons drift away from the protons, the protons themselves eventually break into pieces. My question is that this scenario that Penrose describes doesn't sound like there would be any energy left once the elementary atomic particles disintegrate. In such a scenario as described by Penrose, where exactly if not centered around atomic structures would these be any extant energy?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted