1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Really quick question on linear spans

1. Mar 2, 2009 #1
    If I want to find if

span ([4, 0, -3], [2,2,1]) = span ([2,-2,-4], [0,1,5]) do I first find their reduced row echelon form, and then see if they match? For instance, if I found both matrices to reduce to:
    [ 1 0]
    [ 0 1]
    [ 0 0]

does that mean that they equal each other? Or do I have to do something else?

Also what is the vector space? Is it R2 in this case?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2009 #2
    Essentially, if two matrices are equivalent, then augmenting them with the same vector will give the same solution set. Another way of saying this is that if A ~ B, then in Ax = b and Bx = b, where b can be anything, if x satisfies the first equality, then it satisfies the second, and vice-versa. Also note that when there are no solutions in one, there are no solutions in the other.

If the rref of A is C and the rref of B is also C, then A ~ C and B ~ C. So we have that Ax = b, Cx = b, Bx = b, have the same solutions for x given any vector b (again if there are no solutions for particular b, none of the equations will have a solution). More elaborately, equivalence is transitive and reflexive, so A ~ C and B ~ C implies A ~ B.

That tells us that a vector b that has a solution in Ax = b, also has a solution in Bx = b. And vice-versa. Finding a linear combination of a set {v1, v2, ..., vn} of vectors equal to a vector b, amounts to solving [v1 v2 v3 ... vn]x = b. If {w1, w2, ..., wn} is another set of vectors, we would solve [w1 w2 ... wn]x = b. If [v1 v2 v3 ... vn] ~ C and [w1 w2 ... wn] ~ C then, by the above, one matrix has a solution when the other does. This means when there's a linear combination in {v1, v2, ..., vn} equal to a vector b, there's also one in {w1, w2, ... , wn} and vice-versa. This shows you that {v1, v2, ..., vn} and {w1, w2, ... , wn} have the same span.

4. Mar 2, 2009 #3
    Remember that row operations transform the row vectors to an equivalent basis, so you look at the rref of

[4, 0, -3]
    [2, 2, 1]

etc.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook