Really think there is a mistake in my textbook. Please check

• Thread starter nukeman
  • Start date
nukeman
**Really think there is a mistake in my textbook. Please check

Hey,

this specific equation we are to figure out requires us to use sampling methods, and then to calculate a bunch of different equations, however before the equation I noticed my textbook has a mistake. Please correct me if I am missing something.

Each sample square is 3cm by 3cm, which would = 9cm squared.

The number of characters per sample square is: 96.83

Now, to find how many characters per each square cm, the textbook says to divide by 6 ? huh?

Would you not divide by 9, to get the number of characters for each square cm if its 9 square cm's?

Answers and Replies

verty
Homework Helper

I don't think you are missing anything. It is difficult to know what the book was trying to say.

nukeman

I don't think you are missing anything. It is difficult to know what the book was trying to get across.

So its wrong then? The book was just saying in order to find how many characters were in every square inch of the 9cm squared sample, you would divide by 6. Which is wrong, it would be divide by 9 correct?

So its wrong then? The book was just saying in order to find how many characters were in every square inch of the 9cm squared sample, you would divide by 6. Which is wrong, it would be divide by 9 correct?
If there are 96.83 characters in a 9 sq. cm. square, there are 96.83/9 characters per sq. cm (not square inch). That's about 10.76 characters per sq. cm.

nukeman

If there are 96.83 characters in a 9 sq. cm. square, there are 96.83/9 characters per sq. cm (not square inch). That's about 10.76 characters per sq. cm.

Thanks, yes that's what I got.

Damm textbook :)

Suggested for: Really think there is a mistake in my textbook. Please check

Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies
Views
Replies