1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reals under multiplication homomorphisms

1. Jul 16, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A function f:R-->R^x is a homomorphism iff f(x+y) = f(x) + f(y) for all x,y in R

2. Relevant equations

I dont know what group R^x is. I can only assume it means Reals under multiplication . Would that mean that f(x+y) = f(x)f(y)? How does the function work? Since 5 is in R what would it be mapped to in t R^x?

3. The attempt at a solution

This isnt a homework question, I read it in the book as a false statement but there was no explaination as to what R^x was and I couldnt understand why it was false.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2007 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

R^[symbol that looks like a multiplication sign] is indeed the multiplicative reals.

I don't under stand what you're asking. Are you asserting that you know this statement that you imply to be true is actually false? (It is false, by the way, and trivially so - it cannot be that a+b=ab for all a,b in R^x, or for all a,b in a non-trivial subgroup of R^x: any homomorphism of this kind must send 0 to 1.)

4. Jul 17, 2007 #3
    Thanks Matt, I was unsure as to what R^x was and how it worked.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?