Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recognition of foreign degrees in U.S. grad schools?

  1. Jul 14, 2006 #1
    Hello everyone,

    I am thinking of going abroad to get a masters (or an equivalent) and then try to get into a U.S. grad school for my Ph.D.

    I was wondering whether this is a good idea in itself, i.e. perhaps many U.S. schools think that M.Sc. is for people who aren't strong enough for Ph.D., is that true?

    If it is a good idea, then which countries have good reputations and have degrees that are trusted. I don't want to have to prove that my Masters is just as good as a U.S. Masters. And I'd like to go to places that are known to have high-quality faculty and research money.

    I'm thinking of these countries:
    - Australia
    - France
    - Spain
    - Latin America
    - Quebec (French-speaking universities)
    - UK
    - Switzerland

    Which ones would be wise to choose and which ones should I avoid?
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 14, 2006 #2
    What field will you be studying?
  4. Jul 15, 2006 #3
    Physics, I'm looking into condensed matter or superconductivity
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook