Recognition of foreign degrees in U.S. grad schools?

  • Topic: Schools 
  • Thread starter Thread starter vincebs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Degrees Grad Schools
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
vincebs
Messages
147
Reaction score
0
Hello everyone,

I am thinking of going abroad to get a masters (or an equivalent) and then try to get into a U.S. grad school for my Ph.D.

I was wondering whether this is a good idea in itself, i.e. perhaps many U.S. schools think that M.Sc. is for people who aren't strong enough for Ph.D., is that true?

If it is a good idea, then which countries have good reputations and have degrees that are trusted. I don't want to have to prove that my Masters is just as good as a U.S. Masters. And I'd like to go to places that are known to have high-quality faculty and research money.

I'm thinking of these countries:
- Australia
- France
- Spain
- Latin America
- Quebec (French-speaking universities)
- UK
- Switzerland

Which ones would be wise to choose and which ones should I avoid?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Physics, I'm looking into condensed matter or superconductivity