1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommend a Rigorous Calculus Book

1. Jun 24, 2014 #1
    I have an undergraduate degree in Mathematics from a Big 10 university. Right now I am looking for a Calculus text that would aid me in approaching philosophy and literature text.

Mostly what I'm looking for is a combination of Rigor (strictness in definitions and such) and problems that force you to examine them thoroughly from every angle.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 25, 2014 #2

verty

Homework Helper

4. Jun 25, 2014 #3
    Calculus and rigor do not belong together. Baby Rudin should suffice for all your calculus needs. It has problems that require a deal of ingenuity that even Rudin admits in the preface. I think that qualifies for your examining thoroughly from every angle. I will tell you this, if you understand everything from baby Rudin, and do all the exercises you will probably not need a calculus text. I do not think there is anything of merit in a calculus book that is not in baby rudin. In my opinion, Rudin is the perfect literature, but perhaps not the easiest learning tool. If you want an actual real analysis text though, baby rudin is too easy and won't give you what you want. This text is a classic in the mathematical literature, and will make you appreciate conciseness. I personally prefer it over verty's suggestion of Bourbaki. I'm not sure what Bourbaki text you are recommending, since Bourbaki failed to even reach it's goal of proving Stoke's Theorem. I think the suggestion of Real Analysis by Folland is too abstracted away from calculus to be suggested. This all depends on what you want the text for. Do you want an actual real analysis book? Or do you want a book that holds your hand? Any calculus text is just a dumbed down version of parts of analysis. So, I would not recommend any calculus text if you actually want rigor. Here's what we need to know: what is your mathematical background? I know you said you have a mathematical degree in math, so you must have learned some analysis (I assume). Have you had any courses in real analysis? Have you learned measure theory? etc...

5. Jun 25, 2014 #4

verty

Homework Helper

What does "calculus approaching a philosophy and literature text" mean exactly? I hoped it meant "laying out the facts in a very coherent and justified way". But it is very confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted