Recommend good intro to PDEs book?

In summary, the conversation revolved around recommendations for a good textbook on Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) for an introductory course. Some suggested books included "Beginning Partial Differential Equations" by Peter V. O'Neil, "Differential Equations and the Calculus of Variations" by Lev Elsgolts, and "Ecuaciones Diferenciales - Aplicado a la Física y Técnica" by Puig Adam. Some also recommended using Google Books to preview and compare different textbooks. The general consensus was that "Habberman's book" is a good undergraduate textbook on PDEs, with a clear and application-oriented approach. One person also mentioned self-made notes and another recommended
elemental09
I'm taking a first course in PDEs this term (I'm a physics student) and we are using "Beginning Partial Differential Equations" by Peter V. O'Neil, which I find almost unreadable. Can anyone recommend a good book appropriate for an introductory PDE course? I have taken a standard ODE and standard multivariable calculus course previous. The focus of the course is fairly applied, i.e. there is an emphasis on finding solutions to first and second order linear and quasilinear equations, particularly those important in physics (wave equation, diffusion equation, etc.). There are few proofs and the question of well-posedness is given only a quick treatment.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
the book by richard haberman is supposed to be good.

i used strauss and thought it was pretty good but my professor was pretty good.

I think
Differential Equations and the Calculus of Variations by Lev Elsgolts
is great, and so is
Ecuaciones Diferenciales - Aplicado a la Física y Técnica by Puig Adam
(though it's in Spanish) :P
I specially recommend them for 1st order PDEs (linear, quasilinear, and nonlinear), these books were my mentors in the subject :P They are concise, precise, and contain examples that arise in physics.

Thanks for the replies. One problem is I want to look at textbooks before I buy them, but mostly they have to be bought online. Do you have any online textbook suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
My notes are not bad either lol:

http://bobbyness.net/NerdyStuff/notes.html [Broken]

I'm still updating them btw.

Last edited by a moderator:
¿what do you think about this book?

An Introduction to Ordinary Differential Equations, by Earl. A Coddington

(¿can I put the link to Amazon?. There is the "look inside" option to see the topics)

Personally, I recommend Habberman's book as an undergraduate textbook on PDE. The english is plain and the subjects are very application oriented. The author simply takes his time to explain the details, which makes it a standalone piece of work. My favorite chapter is on Sturm-Liouville's theory.

My first exposure was Strauss' book, 1st edition. Personally, I find it alittle harder to chew since the discussion is terse and the text is frequently interrupted by equations/symbols. If the instructor uses it, that will be good. As a self-study material, it is hard.

1. What is the best introductory book for PDEs?

The best introductory book for PDEs is subjective and may vary depending on personal learning style and background knowledge. Some popular options include "Partial Differential Equations: An Introduction" by Walter A. Strauss and "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" by Stanley J. Farlow. It is recommended to read reviews and sample chapters before choosing a book that fits your needs.

2. Is prior knowledge of calculus and linear algebra necessary to understand PDEs?

Yes, a solid understanding of calculus and linear algebra is necessary to understand PDEs. PDEs involve derivatives and integrals, which are fundamental concepts in calculus. Linear algebra is also essential in solving and analyzing PDEs, as they involve systems of equations and matrices.

3. Can you recommend a book that focuses on applications of PDEs in a specific field?

Yes, there are many books that focus on the application of PDEs in specific fields, such as "Partial Differential Equations in Action: From Modelling to Theory" by Sandro Salsa for applications in physics and engineering, and "Partial Differential Equations for Finance" by Robert V. Kohn for applications in finance. It is important to choose a book that aligns with your interests and career goals.

4. Are there any online resources that can supplement a PDEs textbook?

Yes, there are many online resources that can supplement a PDEs textbook, such as lecture notes, video lectures, and problem sets. Some popular options include MIT OpenCourseWare and Khan Academy. It is important to check the credibility and accuracy of the online resource before using it.

5. Can you recommend a book that is suitable for self-study?

Yes, there are many books that are suitable for self-study, such as "A First Course in Partial Differential Equations: with Complex Variables and Transform Methods" by H. F. Weinberger and "Schaum's Outline of Partial Differential Equations" by Paul DuChateau and David W. Zachmann. It is important to choose a book that has clear explanations and a variety of practice problems for self-assessment.