How Can I Bridge the Gap Between Undergraduate and Graduate Level PDEs?

Evans, but in a more gentle way. It might be helpful to work through that book before tackling Evans.In summary, the conversation discusses the transition from an undergraduate introductory PDEs course using the Strauss text to a graduate PDEs course using the Evans text. The speaker asks for suggestions on resources that can help with the transition, and mentions their background in mathematics. A suggestion is given to work through Fritz John's book before tackling Evans.
Gwely Mernans
Hi,

I have completed an undergrad introductory PDEs course using the Strauss text and am now transitioning to graduate PDEs using the Evans text. Though the first parts of these texts treat (generally) the same subjects, there is a vast gap between them in terms of 'mathematical maturity.'

I was wondering if anyone familiar with the subject of PDEs and the Evans text specifically has any suggestions (ie other books, online lecture notes, etc) that might help smooth the transition between these texts.

My background:

Completed Calc I-III and ODEs (obviously), linear algebra, introductory real analysis course, undergrad PDEs performing well in all courses. Comfortable with proofs (up to the level of math I have seen).

Also, yes, I realize that measure and functional analysis are necessary for a truly rigorous examination of PDEs. However in our class these subjects aren't mandatory for the limited material we cover.

Thank you, in advance, for any suggestions.

Physics news on Phys.org
Fritz john has an excellent book which covers roughly the same material

Related to How Can I Bridge the Gap Between Undergraduate and Graduate Level PDEs?

1. What is a "transition to graduate PDEs" course?

A transition to graduate PDEs (Partial Differential Equations) course is typically a graduate level mathematics course that introduces students to the theory and applications of PDEs. It is designed to bridge the gap between undergraduate and graduate level math courses and prepare students for more advanced PDE courses.

2. What are some common topics covered in a transition to graduate PDEs course?

Topics covered in a transition to graduate PDEs course may include: classification of PDEs, existence and uniqueness of solutions, fundamental solutions, separation of variables, Fourier series and transforms, Green's functions, and applications to physics and engineering problems.

3. What background knowledge is required for a transition to graduate PDEs course?

A solid foundation in undergraduate mathematics is necessary for a transition to graduate PDEs course. This includes a strong understanding of calculus, linear algebra, and ordinary differential equations. Some knowledge of advanced calculus and complex analysis may also be helpful.

4. What are the benefits of taking a transition to graduate PDEs course?

A transition to graduate PDEs course can help students develop a deeper understanding of PDEs and their applications. It can also prepare students for more advanced PDE courses and research in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

5. How can I succeed in a transition to graduate PDEs course?

To succeed in a transition to graduate PDEs course, it is important to have a strong understanding of the prerequisite math topics and to stay organized and on top of assignments. It can also be helpful to actively engage in class discussions and seek help from the instructor or classmates when needed.