Recommendations for astrophysical simulation software.

In summary, the conversation is about finding simulation software for a journal submission on space photonic laser thrusters. The person is looking for a software that allows for the creation of user-designed objects in a realistic interplanetary space simulation. Some possible options suggested include Open Source Physics, MATLAB or Octave, and Processing.org.
TRB8985
Good morning/afternoon/evening to all,

I have a question for those more familiar with simulation software. Allow me to elaborate on my situation:

My professor and I have nearly completed our journal submission on space photonic laser thrusters, and we have built upon recent ideas brought about within the last decade or so. To give a bit more 'oomph' to our paper, we'd like to incorporate some kind of simulation software that we could test our ideas on a particular model of solar sail that we have designed. Due to the lack of access to a suitable vacuum chamber (and to save money on actually building this design), we feel this is our only route in attaining some kind of usable data to add to our submission.

What we are specifically looking for is some kind of software that allows for the creation of user-designed objects in a fairly-realistically interplanetary space simulation. If we could find a program where we could "build" our design and launch from the orbit of Mercury and Earth with realistic vacuum environments, it would be invaluable to adding to the community's knowledge on the subject.

Is there any particular simulation software (expensive is acceptable, we have plenty of grant money to use) that would allow us to easily do this? I would be extremely grateful if anyone familiar with the topic could point us in the right direction.

Thank you all for your time, and I hope that you enjoy your weekend.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Check out Open Source Physics at www.compadre.org/osp

There many examples of physics based simulations and visual components to support whatever view you from a simple plot to 2D and 3D views. It requires knowledge of java but it's not that hard develop a working simulation. Ther are also many examples and a couple of supporting books available.

Alternatively, you could consider using MATLAB or Octave and associated add-on packages.

Lastly, you could consider using Processing.org to with its open gl graphics library.

Www.processing.org

1. What is the purpose of astrophysical simulation software?

Astrophysical simulation software is designed to model and simulate various phenomena and processes that occur in space, such as the evolution of galaxies, formation of stars and planets, and interactions between celestial bodies. It allows scientists to study these complex systems and make predictions about their behavior.

2. What are the key features to look for in astrophysical simulation software?

The key features to consider when evaluating astrophysical simulation software include its accuracy and reliability, flexibility and customization options, user-friendly interface, and compatibility with other tools and data formats. It should also have advanced visualization capabilities and the ability to handle large datasets.

3. Are there any widely used astrophysical simulation software programs?

Yes, there are several popular astrophysical simulation software programs used by scientists, such as GADGET, FLASH, and ENZO. These programs have been extensively tested and validated and are widely used in research and academia.

4. Can astrophysical simulation software be used for educational purposes?

Astrophysical simulation software can be a valuable tool for educational purposes, especially in astronomy and astrophysics courses. It allows students to visualize and interact with complex concepts and phenomena and gain a deeper understanding of how the universe works.

5. What are some current challenges and limitations in astrophysical simulation software?

One of the main challenges in astrophysical simulation software is accurately representing and simulating the complex physics and processes involved in celestial objects and phenomena. Additionally, the growing amount of available data and the need for more powerful computing resources pose challenges for simulation software development. Another limitation is the potential for biases and inaccuracies in the simulation results, which require careful interpretation and validation.