Recommended electronic components books

In summary, the conversation includes a request for recommendations on books or online resources for learning about electronic components. The speaker suggests getting a starter kit from Parallax for practical learning and recommends studying the basic physics of components as well.
lay
hello, I am new here, nice to meet you here. I want to learn knowledge related to electronic components, can you recommend me some books or online website for me to study? thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
lay said:
hello, I am new here, nice to meet you here. I want to learn knowledge related to electronic components, can you recommend me some books or online website for me to study? thanks in advance
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

What is your background so far? Your Profile page says that you have completed undergrad. What was your degree in?

What aspects of components do you want to learn about? The basic material science behind resistors, capacitors, etc.? Or how components are designed to optimize certain characteristics for certain applications (like low-inductance capacitors and resistors for RF applications, etc.)?

Or are you more interested in Integrated Circuits and semiconductors?

We need more information in order to offer you useful suggestions. Thanks. :smile:

Last edited:
You might want to consider getting a basic starter kit from a place like Parallax that will give you an intro to microcontrollers. They will have some project books that will gently introduce you to electronic components and how to interface with them for projects. It can be a lot of fun and a good way to learn electronics in a practical manner. Looking at the basic physics of components (i.e., resister, capacitor, inductor) is also a good side study while working on some hands-on projects.

1. What are the best books for learning about electronic components?

The best books for learning about electronic components are "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III, "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, and "Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutcher.

2. Are there any books specifically for beginners in electronics?

Yes, there are several books specifically geared towards beginners in electronics. Some popular options include "Electronics for Dummies" by Cathleen Shamieh and Gordon McComb, "Make: Electronics" by Charles Platt, and "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III.

3. Are there any books that focus on specific types of electronic components?

Yes, there are many books that focus on specific types of electronic components, such as "Op Amps for Everyone" by Ron Mancini, "Transistor Circuit Techniques: Discrete and Integrated" by Gordon J. Ritchie, and "Analog Circuit Design: Art, Science and Personalities" by Jim Williams.

4. Are there any books that cover both theory and practical applications of electronic components?

Yes, there are several books that cover both theory and practical applications of electronic components. Some popular options include "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill, "Practical Electronics for Inventors" by Paul Scherz and Simon Monk, and "Electronic Circuits for the Evil Genius" by Dave Cutcher.

5. Are there any online resources for learning about electronic components?

Yes, there are many online resources for learning about electronic components, such as websites, forums, and video tutorials. Some popular options include All About Circuits, Electronics Tutorials, and SparkFun Tutorials. Additionally, many of the books mentioned above also have accompanying websites with additional resources and tutorials.