Good books to learn electronic devices and circuits AND digital electronics

In summary, these books are good for learning electronic devices and circuits and digital electronics for competitive exams.
shivajikobardan
TL;DR Summary: Good books to learn electronic devices and circuits AND digital electronics for competitive exams

Here are my choices(in no particular order). You can recommend something out of this as well.

1) Electronic Devices and Circuits by JB Gupta.
2) Electrronic Principles by albert malvino, david j bates, patrick e hoppe
3) Electronic devices and circuit theory by boylestad and nashelsky
4) microelectronic circuits by sedra smith
5) Op-amps and linear integrated circuits by ramakant a. gayakwad

1) Digital Electronics by william h. gothmann
2) digital logic and computer organization by v.rajaraman, t.radhakrishnan
3) digital fundamentals by thomas. l floyd
4) digital logic design by mansaf alam, bashir alam
5) digital logic and microprocessor design with vhdl by enoch o hwang
6) digital design by m.morris mano and michael d.ciletti
7) digital logic and computer deisng by m. morris mano
8) digital systems design by charles h roth jr, lizy kurion john

Purpose of buying these books:

1) To prepare for comptitive exams.
2) To have a good book as reference whenever I want to learn something. Having a book physically means a lot.
3) Have good exercises that can help me brainstorm and understand the concepts. More is always not better but there should be enough.

PS: Books like the art of electronics are out of scope. I generally don't like morris mano's books, idk why. That's all.

Physics news on Phys.org
What's your background? Will this be your first time doing circuit analysis?

Sedra/Smith is very popular I've seen it on almost everybody's shelf (at least within my circle), but it doesn't seem too great for introductory circuit analysis. The book I started with was Introduction to Electric Circuits by Dorf; I also felt like it had a good section on resistive op-amp configurations like inverter and differencer, which I then learned more about active filters in Sedra/Smith. Sedra/Smith was really good with the non-linear stuff like adding diodes and transistors in. Sedra/Smith is also a huge book you will want to cherry-pick the the chapters that are important for your exam.

By the way: When you say devices... not sure if it's just me... it makes me think you are talking about semiconductor physics. If that's something of interest to you, then I would recommend Ben Streetman's book. Pierret is also a classic, but I felt like for me it's hard to follow (still a good supplement and the book is much cheaper probably due to age). Sedra/Smith will briefly cover it, but not really in depth.

I only ever took one digital circuits class (outside of one that focused on Verilog) it covered things like NAND, MUX, encoders/decodes, flip-flops... so I don't feel too confident recommending a book, but the book we used was Logic and Computer Design Fundamentals by Mano and Kime. This book might be outdated it has lots of k-maps and that was very popular material for exams, but I don't think I've ever seen it outside of the classroom. It does appear to me that whatever I learned (the other material covering digital logic) in that class using that book holds up well during interviews, during an internship, and brief conversations with coworkers, but I don't work on too much digital circuits in my current career. If you need to understand digital circuits down to the IC design, then I followed CMOS by Baker. I wouldn't recommend Baker unless you really have to deep dive into IC design, but it is a good book and I see that one on a lot of shelves too including my own.

I spent years on this material so if your exam is coming up soon, then I think my above recommendation probably wont fit within your schedule.

I'm a graduate of ECE. I've a decent background of circuits but I'm no expert at it. I'm a noob-intermediate at these stuffs. Not my first time doing circuit analysis. I can take this exam at any time I wish. So, I am not in a hurry.

1. What are some good books to learn about electronic devices and circuits?

Some good books to learn about electronic devices and circuits are "Electronic Devices and Circuit Theory" by Robert L. Boylestad and Louis Nashelsky, "Microelectronic Circuits" by Adel S. Sedra and Kenneth C. Smith, and "The Art of Electronics" by Paul Horowitz and Winfield Hill.

2. Are there any books specifically for learning digital electronics?

Yes, there are books specifically for learning digital electronics, such as "Digital Design" by M. Morris Mano and Michael D. Ciletti, "Digital Electronics: Principles and Applications" by Roger L. Tokheim, and "Digital Electronics: A Practical Approach" by William Kleitz.

3. Can you recommend a book for beginners in electronic devices and circuits?

For beginners, "Getting Started in Electronics" by Forrest M. Mims III is a great book that covers the basics of electronic devices and circuits in a clear and easy-to-understand manner.

4. Are there any online resources or websites that can supplement learning from books?

Yes, there are many online resources and websites that can supplement learning from books, such as Khan Academy, All About Circuits, and Electronics Tutorials. These websites offer tutorials, videos, and interactive simulations to help reinforce concepts and provide additional practice.

5. Are there any books that cover both electronic devices and digital electronics?

Yes, there are books that cover both electronic devices and digital electronics, such as "Electronic Devices and Digital Circuits" by Theodore F. Bogart Jr. and Jeffrey S. Beasley, "Electronic Devices and Circuits" by David A. Bell, and "Fundamentals of Electronic Devices and Circuits" by David A. Bell and Albert P. Malvino.