1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses Recommended Math Courses for grad school

1. Aug 18, 2008 #1
    Hi
    I am in my third year undergrad, and am planning to study physics in graduate school.

I was wondering if anyone knows what sort of math graduate schools expect and or want incoming students to have? Mostly, I mean besides Calculus, vector calculus, linear algebra, and Differential Equations. I consider those to be fairly standard. But what sets you apart as an applicant, in terms of math?

Furthermore, what is expected of students in terms of mathematical coursework? What are students expected to know coming in?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2008 #2
    I don't know if they "expect it", but besides the standard most physicists will do terminal/introductory courses in PDE, and complex and real analysis. Some will go even go as far as differnetial geometry and topoglogy.

I don't know what students are expected to know, but from the grad books I read, you should definately consider doing some of the courses I listed, especially PDE and complex analysis.

4. Aug 18, 2008 #3

eri

I only had the courses you listed. The PDEs and real/complex analysis were covered in my mathematical physics courses (which were in the physics dept). The only time I used differential geometry and topology were in my general relativity course - if you're not planning to take that, then you probably don't need them (as far as I know).

5. Aug 18, 2008 #4

tmc

This depends a lot on the fields you want to go into. Care to give us more details?

6. Aug 18, 2008 #5
    Well I'm not entirely sure what I want to go into. At the moment I'm interested in experimental particle and atomic physics.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?