Recommended Set Theory Textbooks for Studying Topology and Beyond

In summary, a physics undergraduate is planning on learning topology from Munkres next semester, but first wants to gain a good foundational understanding of set theory. A recommended book is "Set Theory and Metric Spaces" by Kaplansky. Other references include "Halmos's Naive Set Theory" and "Erich Kamke's Set Theory."
kostas230
I'm a physics undergraduate and I'll starting learning topology from Munkres next semester. But first I want to learn set theory to feel more comfortable. Do you know any good textbook? A friend of mne from the math department said I should go with Kaplansky's "Set Theory and Metric Spaces".

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't really need to go through a set theory book. Munkres is self-contained and introduces everything you need. Apart from the standard set theoretical operations, you won't need much set theory? So you need to know very well things like

[tex]A\subseteq f^{-1}(f(A))[/tex]

but not much more.

Anyway, Kaplansky is a decent book. My favorite book on set theory is Hrbacek and Jech. This book has the benefits of starting from the axioms of set theory and to build up everything from that.

Other references include: the standard in the old days was Halmos's Naive set theory. I liked Erich Kamke's book too.

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=naive+set+theory&x=67&y=7

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=erich+kamke&kn=set+theory

The classic is the one by Hausdorff:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/Sea...d=all&sortby=17&sts=t&tn=set+theory&x=62&y=10

If you want to see what "the man" himself said, for historical interest, although not necessarily recommended as a place to learn easily, there is always Georg Cantor's own work:

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?an=georg+cantor&sts=t&tn=transfinite+numbers

Last edited:
Halmos is great. I found a nice inexpensive paperback reprint a little while back.

He writes so well...

You don't really need to go through a set theory book. Munkres is self-contained and introduces everything you need. Apart from the standard set theoretical operations, you won't need much set theory? So you need to know very well things like

A⊆f−1(f(A))

I'd like to have a good knowledge of set theory before I start learning topology, because it would make me feel much more comfortable knowing the fundamentals. Also, I suppose I will need set theory for further studies in algebra and topology.

Other references include: the standard in the old days was Halmos's Naive set theory. I liked Erich Kamke's book too.

I think I will go with Halmo's book. Thanks mathwonk!

Related to Recommended Set Theory Textbooks for Studying Topology and Beyond

1. What is set theory and how is it related to topology?

Set theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of sets, which are collections of distinct objects. Topology is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of spaces and their properties. Set theory is the foundation of topology, as it provides the tools and concepts needed to define and analyze topological spaces.

2. What are the basic concepts of set theory and topology?

The basic concepts of set theory include sets, elements, subsets, union, intersection, and complement. The basic concepts of topology include open sets, closed sets, neighborhoods, continuity, and compactness.

3. How does set theory book for topology differ from other books on topology?

A set theory book for topology focuses on the use of set theory to understand and analyze topological spaces. It may also cover topics such as cardinality, ordinals, and transfinite numbers, which are important in topology. Other books on topology may focus more on the geometric and topological properties of spaces.

4. What are some practical applications of set theory in topology?

Set theory is used in topology to define and study topological spaces, which have many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics. For example, topological spaces are used to model networks, analyze data, and design algorithms.

5. What are some recommended set theory books for topology?

Some recommended set theory books for topology include "Topology" by Munkres, "Introduction to Topology: Pure and Applied" by Adams and Franzosa, and "General Topology" by Kelley. These books provide a thorough introduction to set theory and its applications in topology, suitable for both beginners and advanced learners.