1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recommended whiteboards for classroom/personal use?

1. Mar 10, 2017 #1
    Hello everyone, my name is Ron Tucker and I'm quite new to this forum. I have recently started up a website to help teach about different whiteboards that are currently available, but would like to expand my knowledge as I most definitely don't know everything.

Seeing as you all are men and women of science, I thought this would be a great place to ask.

I appreciated any and all feedback, thanks guys!

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 10, 2017 #2

Stephen Tashi

Science Advisor

Are you talking about "whiteboards" as physical objects?

Or has "whiteboards" become some sort of educational jargon that refers to a lesson plan?

4. Mar 10, 2017 #3

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Not sure what you are asking- comparisons of different whiteboards? Inexpensive versions of whiteboards?

5. Mar 10, 2017 #4

Andy Resnick

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Whiteboards, at least the way I use the term, refer to versions of blackboards that use dry erase markers instead of chalk. They are especially common in labs that can't tolerate chalk dust.

6. Mar 11, 2017 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Note to self: if the next post in the thread links to a site with examples of what the OP meant, ban the spammer.

7. Mar 11, 2017 #6

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

A "whiteboard" is a free-form writing/drawing applications, often used in video conferencing. It allows for a quick hand sketch or drawing to be done live and be seen by all participants in such a conference.

It is also used for online or blended classes. It allows for an instructor or student to do a quick sketch during such a session.

For me, the use of a whiteboard for such online classes is a bit tedious if one doesn't have a touch-screen computer. Drawing something with a mouse is awful, and don't get me started on trying to write a math equation using that.

Instead, what I have done is pair up my computer with my iPad, and use an app that allows me to display what ever I'm writing free-form on my iPad projected onto my computer screen. If I am "sharing" my computer screen with all the participants, then they will see whatever I wrote live.

Zz.

8. Mar 13, 2017 #7
    I point the camera at the physical dry erase white board in my office. Have one in my lab also.

9. Mar 13, 2017 #8

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

I can use my whiteboard to present lessons while dressed in my PJs at home.

Hope none of my students are reading this.

Zz.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted