Recommending another member to answer a question

• Thread starter SW VandeCarr
  • Start date
In summary, I don't think it would be a good idea to have a feature where a member is automatically PM'd when a thread is tagged with key words. It would be too much of a hassle for the person tagging the thread, and it would be an imposition on the more qualified members that are already responding to threads in their area of expertise.
SW VandeCarr
Occasionally, after responding to a post, I find that some other specific member or members might be in a better position to answer the OP. I know there's a rule against negatively referencing a member in a post, but what about a recommendation? The OP could send a private message to that person, but there's also the possibility that the member recommended might not be interested.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean telling the OP to pm another member that is not participating? Perhaps asking the other member if they would like to join the thread, as long as it wasn't done regularly, might be ok. I would recommend against asking the other member to correspond via pm, discussions should go in the forum.

I've done that once that I can remember. Someone was inquiring about a specific profession, and one of our active members is in that profession (and has made it public on many occasions). So I sent him a PM alerting him to the thread.

Evo said:
Do you mean telling the OP to pm another member that is not participating?

Yes

Perhaps asking the other member if they would like to join the thread, as long as it wasn't done regularly, might be ok. I would recommend against asking the other member to correspond via pm, discussions should go in the forum.

So perhaps I should pm the member and invite him/her to join? It would be rare. I occasionally get interesting stats related physics questions in the stats forum, but not being a physicist I'm not sure I'm giving out useful information.

SW VandeCarr said:
So perhaps I should pm the member and invite him/her to join? It would be rare.
I don't see a problem with that.

I have very frequently greeted a newcomer with the mention that I couldn't help but perhaps a specific member could. That was usually a reference to Space Tiger for astrophysics or Brewnog for mechanical engineering. That's usually enough to get their attention within a day or two. On a couple of occasions, I have PM'd a member to alert him/her about a thread that I knew would be of particular interest.
So far, nobody has complained about that approach.

SW VandeCarr said:
So perhaps I should pm the member and invite him/her to join? It would be rare.
Evo said:
I don't see a problem with that.
Me either, reiterating the part that it is done infrequently.

But suggesting to a relatively new member to PM so-and-so might give the wrong impression that it's okay to do that routinely.

I suggest that you add a feature in 'My PF' where the member interested in helping will receive all new threads that hold key words which he/her find interesting, and would give a helping hand.

Of course, another feature would be necessary, it should be added among the new thread buttons, which is 'key words'... Just a thought though

Or we could use a "tag" system like they now have on facebook. It could send an auto pm or email to the person tagged. If the member gets annoyed by the tags they could have a way to turn the feature off.

Any thoughts?

I think the situation is rare enough that we don't need an actual process.

No one here gets paid for responding, so to continually impose on certain members would not be something we would want to encourage.

We already have a large number of very qualified members that look into threads in their area of expertise as time permits. I wouldn't want to drive any of them away by making them feel obligated to respond when they don't have time.

But suggestions are always welcomed.

I have seen a forum, where you can "ping" other members, inviting them to look at a post or a thread.

Andre said:
I have seen a forum, where you can "ping" other members, inviting them to look at a post or a thread.

This is what I mean. It seems like it would serve a good purpose.

What would such a feature do, that sending a PM does not do?

Redbelly98 said:
What would such a feature do, that sending a PM does not do?

Oh it would save a few minutes, but the "pinging" forum in question is more into dialogs, open mails directed to specific members where others anc react to.

Here is one forum that has this 'ping' feature.

Just information, no opinion.

I don't think we want to encourage bothering members as a function. That would just be begging for abuse by the people wanting their homework done NOW.

Evo said:
That would just be begging for abuse by the people wanting their homework done NOW.

Then don't have it be an option in the homework forum

DR13 said:
Then don't have it be an option in the homework forum
Most "urgent" homework requests are not posted in the Homework section.

Things work fine the way they are, where a member can choose to participate when and where they want.

Or you could only give PF Mentors the tag function. They would certainly not abuse the function.

Just so we are clear on this:

1. It is not a good idea (in fact, I would recommend against it) to tell a member to PM another member regarding a particular topic/thread

2. All open discussion should be done in the forums. Not only is there less of a hassle, the fact that other members can also look at it ensures that the probability that one is being passed wrong/faulty/etc. information is less. Furthermore, other members who have similar questions can learn from such discussions.

3. PM'ing another member who you think might have the expertise to look at a particular thread is a good idea. It is certainly better than being asked to solve a problem via PM.

Zz.

1. Why should I recommend another member to answer a question?

As a scientist, you may have a limited expertise in a specific area or topic. Recommending another member to answer a question allows for a more diverse range of perspectives and knowledge to be shared, leading to a more comprehensive and accurate answer.

2. How do I know which member to recommend for a question?

Consider the expertise and experience of the members in the community. Look for individuals who have a background or have previously answered questions related to the topic in question.

3. Can I recommend more than one member to answer a question?

Yes, you can recommend multiple members to answer a question. This can provide a variety of insights and increase the chances of receiving a thorough and well-informed answer.

4. What if the recommended member does not provide a satisfactory answer?

If the recommended member is unable to provide a satisfactory answer, you can always ask for additional clarification or reach out to other members for their input. The goal is to find the best answer possible through collaboration and knowledge-sharing.

5. How do I properly recommend another member to answer a question?

You can recommend another member by directly mentioning them in your question or by reaching out to them through private messaging. Be sure to explain why you are recommending them and provide a clear and concise question for them to answer.