Reconcile Geometric Form of Cross Product with Algebric Form

In summary, to prove that A x B is equal to ABsinθ, we need to show that (AXB).(AXB) is equal to (AB)2 - (A.B)2. This can be done by using the identities A x B x C = A x (B x C) and A x (B x C) = (A x C)B - (A x C)B and expanding the expression. However, the proof of this identity may be difficult and may require further exploration.
noir1993
Basically, we have to prove that A X B is equal to ABsinθ

Now a crucial step towards the proof is proving that
(AXB).(AXB) is equal to (AB)2 - (A.B)2

After that it is fairly simple. But unfortunately, I can not prove the identity. I've tried expanding it into components but things are becoming messy. Any idea on how to prove this identity (namely : (AXB).(AXB)= (AB)2 - (A.B)2 ) ?

Bold face indicates a Vector

Physics news on Phys.org
nerdynoir said:
Basically, we have to prove that A X B is equal to ABsinθ

Now a crucial step towards the proof is proving that
(AXB).(AXB) is equal to (AB)2 - (A.B)2

After that it is fairly simple. But unfortunately, I can not prove the identity. I've tried expanding it into components but things are becoming messy. Any idea on how to prove this identity (namely : (AXB).(AXB)= (AB)2 - (A.B)2 ) ?

Bold face indicates a Vector

I will assume you know the identities ##
A \cdot B \times C = A \times B \cdot C## (interchange of dot and cross) and ##A\times (B\times C) = (A\cdot C)B-(A\cdot C)B##.

$$\|A\times B\|^2=(A\times B)\cdot (A\times B) = A\cdot (B\times (A\times B))$$ $$
=A\cdot ((B\cdot B)A - (B\cdot A)B)= \|B\|^2\|A\|^2-(B\cdot A)(B\cdot A)$$

LCKurtz said:
I will assume you know the identities ##
A \cdot B \times C = A \times B \cdot C## (interchange of dot and cross) and ##A\times (B\times C) = (A\cdot C)B-(A\cdot C)B##.

$

Hmm, thanks, :). That was short and sweet.

By the way, I guess you made a small typo(in the second term of the vector triple product.), it will be AX(BXC) = B(A.C)-C(A.B).

nerdynoir said:
Hmm, thanks, :). That was short and sweet.

By the way, I guess you made a small typo(in the second term of the vector triple product.), it will be AX(BXC) = B(A.C)-C(A.B).

Yes that was a typo. Unfortunately it's too late to correct it but that doesn't matter now anyway.

1. What is the geometric interpretation of the cross product?

The cross product of two vectors in three-dimensional space is a vector that is perpendicular to both of the original vectors. Its magnitude is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the original vectors multiplied by the sine of the angle between them.

2. How is the cross product calculated algebraically?

The cross product of two vectors, a and b, is calculated by taking the determinant of a 3x3 matrix formed by the unit vectors i, j, and k, with the first row being the coefficients of the unit vectors, the second row being the coefficients of vector a, and the third row being the coefficients of vector b.

3. Why is the cross product represented by a vector?

The cross product is represented by a vector because it has both magnitude and direction. It is perpendicular to the plane formed by the two original vectors and its direction is determined by the right-hand rule.

4. How does the cross product relate to the dot product?

The cross product and the dot product are two different types of vector multiplication. The dot product results in a scalar quantity while the cross product results in a vector quantity. However, they are related in that the dot product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to zero, and the cross product is perpendicular to both vectors.

5. Can the cross product be used in higher dimensions?

The cross product is only defined for vectors in three-dimensional space. However, a similar operation called the wedge product can be used for higher dimensions. It is used in multilinear algebra and differential geometry.