1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reconcile Geometric Form of Cross Product with Algebric Form

1. Jul 18, 2012 #1
    Basically, we have to prove that A X B is equal to ABsinθ

Now a crucial step towards the proof is proving that
    (AXB).(AXB) is equal to (AB)2 - (A.B)2

After that it is fairly simple. But unfortunately, I can not prove the identity. I've tried expanding it into components but things are becoming messy. Any idea on how to prove this identity (namely : (AXB).(AXB)= (AB)2 - (A.B)2 ) ?

Bold face indicates a Vector

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 18, 2012 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I will assume you know the identities ##
    A \cdot B \times C = A \times B \cdot C## (interchange of dot and cross) and ##A\times (B\times C) = (A\cdot C)B-(A\cdot C)B##.

$$\|A\times B\|^2=(A\times B)\cdot (A\times B) = A\cdot (B\times (A\times B))$$ $$
    =A\cdot ((B\cdot B)A - (B\cdot A)B)= \|B\|^2\|A\|^2-(B\cdot A)(B\cdot A)$$

4. Jul 18, 2012 #3
    Hmm, thanks, :). That was short and sweet.

By the way, I guess you made a small typo(in the second term of the vector triple product.), it will be AX(BXC) = B(A.C)-C(A.B).

5. Jul 19, 2012 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes that was a typo. Unfortunately it's too late to correct it but that doesn't matter now anyway.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook