Can the dot and cross product prove the sum of squares in a parallelogram?

• Thread starter leroyjenkens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometric
In summary: The cross product is a way to multiply vectors. It's a real vector that points in the direction of the vector it is multiplied by.
leroyjenkens

Homework Statement

Using vectors, the dot product, and the cross product, prove that the sum of the squares of the diagonals of a parallelogram is equal to twice the sum of the squares of two adjacent sides of the parallelogram.

Homework Equations

[tex]|A·B|=|A||B|cosθ[/tex]

[tex]|AxB|=|A||B|sinθ[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I used the Pythagorean theorem to solve it easily. But I don't know how to solve it using vectors. Is the problem expecting me to draw a parallelogram using arrows? I could create the same triangle I made to solve it using the P-theorem, but that would just be making a triangle. I need to make a parallelogram. It seems like the best the dot and cross product could do is tell me the angle of the triangle. I don't see how it's going to give me the square of anything.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's say two of the sides of a typical parallelogram are formed by the vectors A and B.
Using vector algebra, how would you express the formula for the two diagonals of the parallelogram in terms of A and B? Once you had these expressions, can you prove the original problem about the lengths of the diagonals?

You mentioned the Pythagorean Theorem (P.T.) How does the P.T. relate to finding the magnitude of a vector?

SteamKing said:
Let's say two of the sides of a typical parallelogram are formed by the vectors A and B.
Using vector algebra, how would you express the formula for the two diagonals of the parallelogram in terms of A and B? Once you had these expressions, can you prove the original problem about the lengths of the diagonals?

You mentioned the Pythagorean Theorem (P.T.) How does the P.T. relate to finding the magnitude of a vector?

Ok, if I had the bottom side of a rectangle (A) and the right side of a rectangle (B), then I could find one diagonal with A+B. And then to find the other diagonal, I could do A+(-B). I can get a length of the diagonals if I had the length of A and B. But I'd be using the PT.

To use the PT, I had to come up with my own numbers for the vector magnitudes. I just used 4 and 3, since that makes the diagonal 5.

Well, I suppose this is for a math class, and math teachers like for you to use equations rather than plugging in arbitrary numbers. After all, math isn't supposed to be an experimental science.

I can't imagine why you are asked to use vectors' crossproduct in a 2d world. You only need to use the sum of vectors to tackle this one.

Last edited:
Given any parallelogram we can set up a coordinate system so that one vertex is at the origin and another is on the x- axis. That is, one vertex is at (0, 0), another at (a, 0), a third at (b, c) and the fourth at (a+ b, c). What are the vectors giving the diagonals and adjacent sides?

leroyjenkens said:
Ok, if I had the bottom side of a rectangle (A) and the right side of a rectangle (B), then I could find one diagonal with A+B. And then to find the other diagonal, I could do A+(-B). I can get a length of the diagonals if I had the length of A and B. But I'd be using the PT.
Use ##\| \vec{X} \| = \sqrt{\vec{X}\cdot\vec{X}}## on A+B and A-B.

1. What is a geometric maxim?

A geometric maxim is a statement or principle that describes a general rule or pattern related to geometry.

2. How do you prove a geometric maxim?

To prove a geometric maxim, you must use logical reasoning and mathematical techniques such as deductive reasoning, proof by contradiction, or proof by induction.

3. What tools or concepts are needed to prove a geometric maxim?

Some common tools and concepts used to prove geometric maxims include basic geometric principles like the Pythagorean theorem, properties of angles and triangles, and concepts such as congruence and similarity.

4. Is there a specific process for proving a geometric maxim?

While there is no set process for proving a geometric maxim, a common approach is to start with the given information and use logical steps to arrive at a conclusion that supports the maxim.

5. Can a geometric maxim ever be disproved?

Yes, a geometric maxim can be disproved if a counterexample is found that does not follow the pattern or rule described by the maxim. This is why it is important to thoroughly test and verify a geometric maxim before considering it to be true.