Rectangular Box with two non zero potential faces

In summary: Yes, although you can absorb the 2 into the coefficient.Yes, although you can absorb the 2 into the coefficient.
guyvsdcsniper
Homework Statement
a conducting rectangular hollow box has zero potential on all its rectangular sides and a potential of
Voy at x=0 and -Voz at x=l

Find the potential inside
Relevant Equations
laplace's equation
I believe what I have to do to solve this problem is find the potential at each end face and then use the super position principle to find the net potential. So my boundary condition v and iv will give the potential at each respective position.
Im just a bit confused about my boundary V.

Usually when doing these problems the condition causes a coefficient to be zero. Here we have a potential when x=l
So i get this big ugly exponential attached to my coefficient.

Does this seem correct

Screen Shot 2022-05-05 at 8.19.15 AM.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, generally you will get some sort of exponential attached. You could get rid of it (should you wish to do so) by using (l-x) as a coordinate for that part of the solution rather than x. (Also, you may find it more aesthetically pleasing to use sinh and cosh instead of the exponential functions.)

On a completely different note: The Roman number 6 is written VI while IV is the Roman number 4.

Orodruin said:
Yes, generally you will get some sort of exponential attached. You could get rid of it (should you wish to do so) by using (l-x) as a coordinate for that part of the solution rather than x. (Also, you may find it more aesthetically pleasing to use sinh and cosh instead of the exponential functions.)

On a completely different note: The Roman number 6 is written VI while IV is the Roman number 4.
Ohh that is write I can write the exponential as for condition V as 2cosh(x).

so then I would get 2cosh(l-x)?

Yes, although you can absorb the 2 into the coefficient.

Orodruin said:
Yes, although you can absorb the 2 into the coefficient.
I did something similar to this in a 2-D laplace equation but now that it is 3-D the exponential is raised to a half power, π/a√(n2+m2)(l-x)
So then I would have Cosh(π/a√(n2+m2)(l-x))

Is that correct?

1. What is a rectangular box with two non-zero potential faces?

A rectangular box with two non-zero potential faces is a three-dimensional shape with six rectangular faces, two of which have a non-zero potential (or electric charge) applied to them. This creates an electric field within the box, which can affect the behavior of particles or objects placed inside.

2. How is the electric field distributed within the box?

The electric field within the box is strongest near the two non-zero potential faces and gradually decreases as you move towards the other four faces. The field lines are perpendicular to the potential faces and parallel to the other four faces.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field within the box?

The strength of the electric field within the box is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the potential on the two faces, as well as the distance between the two faces. The shape and size of the box can also play a role in determining the strength of the field.

4. How does the electric field within the box affect particles or objects inside?

The electric field within the box can exert a force on charged particles or objects inside, causing them to move or accelerate. The direction and magnitude of this force depend on the charge and location of the particles/objects relative to the potential faces.

5. What are some real-world applications of a rectangular box with two non-zero potential faces?

One common application is in particle accelerators, where charged particles are accelerated and controlled using electric fields within a rectangular box. This setup is also used in some types of electronic devices, such as capacitors, to store and manipulate electric charge.