1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Rectilinear motion of a particle

1. Oct 4, 2011 #1
    A particle of mass m moves without friction subject to a force F(x) =
    −kx + [itex]\frac{kx3}{A2}[/itex], where k and A are positive constants. It is projected
    from x = 0 to the positive x direction with initial velocity v0 =
    A[itex]\sqrt{\frac{k}{2m}}[/itex]. Find:
    (a) the potential energy V (x),
    (b) the kinetic energy T(x),
    (c) the turning points of the motion.

So I don't know if I am on the right track, I feel I am missing something. For V(x) (potential energy), i got:
    [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] kx[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{kx^{4}}{A^{2}}[/itex]

Then I found T(x) (kinetic energy) to be:
    T[itex]_{o}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]kx[itex]^{2}[/itex] - [itex]\frac{1}{4}[/itex] [itex]\frac{kx^{4}}{A^{2}}[/itex]

I know I am given an initial V[itex]_{o}[/itex], but where would I plug that in to find V(x) or T(x)?

Any help is very much appreciated.

Regards

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 5, 2011 #2
    Anyone? Do I need to include other attempts?

4. Oct 5, 2011 #3
    Hi,
    It seems to me you've done very well so far.
    You did correctly work out, that under a central force expressible as:
    [itex]
    \vec{F} = -\vec{\nabla}{V}
    [/itex]
    So that in your case,
    [itex]
    V(x) = -\displaystyle \int_0^x{Fdx}
    [/itex]
    Here, under the constraints on the given question, it is okay to take the potential energy equal to some base/initial value of your choice(at x = 0), say even zero.
    But recall that m*x''t = F(x), so it may be best to solve a differential equation for x(t), in order to find out the kinetic energy, which will be, in this case K = mx'(t)^2/2;
    Try that,
    Daniel

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook