Recurrence relation in a recurrence relation?

In summary: This actually helps. Set ##a=1## and ##b=n##, then ##a=0## and ##b=n+1##, you get##f(2)+2f(n)=f(f(n+1))##and##f(0)+2f(n+1)=f(f(n+1))##subtract and rearrange, you get##f(n+1)-f(n)=\frac12 (f(0)-f(2))##So this is independent of ##n##, hence the function is... discrete.
MevsEinstein
TL;DR Summary
I tried to solve a functional equation by using a recurrence relation, but then I decided to do a recurrence relation in a recurrence relation.
There's a famous functional equation that was asked in the 2019 IMO. It looks like this: find all f: Z -> Z where f(2a)+2f(b)=f(f(a+b)).

I thought of solving it using a recurrence relation where a_n=f(nx). But when I substituted values in the functional equation (after setting a and b equal, and then changing the variable to x), I got this: a_2 + 2a_1 = f(a_2). Is it allowed in Mathematics to make a second relation (where in this case a_n_i=f(...f(i times)(nx)...), so I get this recurrence relation: a_2_1 + 2a_1_1 = a_2_2?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I do not think recurrence is an appropriate approach for this problem. I rewrote the formula for any x and t [tex]f(f(x))=2f(t)+f(2x-2t)[/tex] and applied differentiation.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
I do not think recurrence is an appropriate approach for this problem. I rewrote the formula for any x and t [tex]f(f(x))=2f(t)+f(2x-2t)[/tex] and applied differentiation.
You differentiate a function that is defined on integers only?

Likes anuttarasammyak
MevsEinstein said:
Summary:: I tried to solve a functional equation by using a recurrence relation, but then I decided to do a recurrence relation in a recurrence relation.

There's a famous functional equation that was asked in the 2019 IMO. It looks like this: find all f: Z -> Z where f(2a)+2f(b)=f(f(a+b)).

I thought of solving it using a recurrence relation where a_n=f(nx). But when I substituted values in the functional equation (after setting a and b equal, and then changing the variable to x), I got this: a_2 + 2a_1 = f(a_2). Is it allowed in Mathematics to make a second relation (where in this case a_n_i=f(...f(i times)(nx)...), so I get this recurrence relation: a_2_1 + 2a_1_1 = a_2_2?
It usually helps to consider small integers first: ##f(0)\, , \,f(-1)\, , \,f(1)## or generally ##f(a)=f(b)##. There is no one method fits all solution.
MevsEinstein said:
Is it allowed in Mathematics to make a second relation
Of course, it is. I don't think that it will be of great help here, but you can define whatever you want as long as it is unambiguously. You can sometimes consider properties of the function without knowing the function itself, e.g. monotony, fixed points, or injectivity.

fresh_42 said:
It usually helps to consider small integers first: ##f(0)\, , \,f(-1)\, , \,f(1)## or generally ##f(a)=f(b)##. There is no one method fits all solution.

Of course, it is. I don't think that it will be of great help here, but you can define whatever you want as long as it is unambiguously. You can sometimes consider properties of the function without knowing the function itself, e.g. monotony, fixed points, or injectivity.
I was trying to make my own solution to this functional equation. I'm almost done with my solution using recurrence relations (I now have ##f(x)\, \, = 2c_1\, - \,c_2,## and I want to prove that ##c_1## is ##x##).

fresh_42 said:
You differentiate a function that is defined on integers only?
Yea, I extend f(x) for continuous x, apply ##\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dt}## to the formula in post #2, and get ##f"(x)=0## for any x. At least it is one of all the solutions of the original problem.

Last edited:
anuttarasammyak said:
Yea, I extend f(x) for continuous x, apply ##\frac{d}{dx}\frac{d}{dt}## to the formula in post #2, and get ##f"(x)=0## for any x. At least it is one of all the solutions of the original problem.
It could be a method to get an educated guess. The difficulty is then uniqueness. There should be more real solutions than there are integer solutions. But what if the real solution doesn't give an integer solution? However, such questions are primarily an invitation to play with them. Btw., there is a discrete analogon to differentiation, namely investigating the differences ##f(n+1)-f(n).##

Likes anuttarasammyak
anuttarasammyak said:
##f(x)=x## satisfies ##f''(x)=0##, but is not a solution to the original problem. In fact linear functions ##f(x)=mx+n## are solutions only if ##m=2##. You can check after substituting in the equation.
fresh_42 said:
Btw., there is a discrete analogon to differentiation, namely investigating the differences ##f(n+1)-f(n).##
This actually helps. Set ##a=1## and ##b=n##, then ##a=0## and ##b=n+1##, you get
##f(2)+2f(n)=f(f(n+1))##
and
##f(0)+2f(n+1)=f(f(n+1))##
subtract and rearrange, you get
##f(n+1)-f(n)=\frac12 (f(0)-f(2))##
So this is independent of ##n##, hence the function is linear.

Likes anuttarasammyak
martinbn said:
f(x)=x satisfies f″(x)=0, but is not a solution to the original problem. In fact linear functions f(x)=mx+n are solutions only if m=2. You can check after substituting in the equation.
Thanks for full writing. I would just add obvious m=n=0.

Likes martinbn

1. What is a recurrence relation in mathematics?

A recurrence relation in mathematics is a mathematical equation that defines a sequence of terms where each term is defined in terms of previous terms. It is commonly used to model and solve problems that involve repeated processes or patterns.

2. How is a recurrence relation different from a regular mathematical equation?

A recurrence relation differs from a regular mathematical equation in that it defines a sequence of terms rather than a single value. It also uses the previous terms in the sequence to define the next term, whereas a regular equation typically uses specific values or variables.

3. What are some real-world applications of recurrence relations?

Recurrence relations have many real-world applications, including in computer science, physics, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, analyze algorithms, predict stock prices, and study the behavior of physical systems.

4. How do you solve a recurrence relation?

The process of solving a recurrence relation involves finding a closed-form solution, which is an equation that directly calculates the value of any term in the sequence without having to go through all the previous terms. This can be done through various techniques such as substitution, iteration, and generating functions.

5. Can all recurrence relations be solved?

No, not all recurrence relations can be solved. Some may have no closed-form solution, while others may have multiple solutions. In some cases, numerical methods or approximations may be used to find an approximate solution. Additionally, the complexity of solving a recurrence relation may vary depending on the specific equation and its application.