Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Recursively defined numbers, need to show they are non-decreasing

1. Apr 29, 2009 #1
    Hello, I have a question involving a sequence of numbers [tex] \{a_n\} [/tex] defined recursively. They are defined as the positive solutions of the following set of equations.

[tex]1 = \frac{1}{a_1} = \frac{1}{(a_2+a_1)} + \frac{1}{{a_2}} =
    \frac{1}{(a_3 + a_2 +a_1)} + \frac{1}{(a_3 + a_2)}
    + \frac{1}{{a_3}} = \cdots = \frac{1}{(a_n + a_{n-1}+ \cdots +a_1)} + \frac{1}{(a_n + a_{n-1}+
    \cdots +a_2)} + \cdots + \frac{1}{{a_n}} = \cdots [/tex]

The first few can be solved analytically [tex] a_1 = 1, a_2 \approx 1.62, \cdots [/tex]. The rest can be found numerically.

However, instead of their values, what I need is to show that these numbers have to be non-decreasing, i.e. [tex] a_{n+1} \geq a_{n} [/tex] for all n.

Any ideas welcome.

Thank you.

Notes:

An observation that might be helpful is that, the numerical solutions show a_n's grow with natural logarithm. ([tex]\ln{(2n+2)}[/tex] seems to fit the numerical solution perfectly. ) Also, [tex]a_n \geq H_n, \text{\, where \,}
    H_n = \sum_{k=1}^{n}\frac{1}{k} \text{\, is the $n^{\text{th}}$
    harmonic number.} [/tex]

The numerical solution suggests [tex] a_{n+1} - a_n [/tex] goes to zero as n goes to infinity. So this might suggest induction is the way to go for the proof. Assume non-decreasing up to a_n, show that [tex] a_{n+1} \geq a_{n} [/tex].

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted