Red Lion HMI Sending but not Receiving

• Thread starter DODGEVIPER13
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed issues with sending and receiving signals between RS Logix and the Red Lion G310 HMI. The user was unable to send signals from the HMI to RS Logix, but could receive signals from RS Logix to the HMI. The conversation also touched on the complexities and difficulties of configuring device drivers in an HMI. Suggestions were given to check the driver configuration and ensure proper access and linking to OPC-DA point names. It was also mentioned that the 5000 series of PLC can be challenging to work with and that HMIs only write to bits, not force them. Finally, the conversation touched on the potential programming issues and the importance of properly setting up tags in the ladder logic.
DODGEVIPER13
I currently have RS Logix set up with a ladder logic program, when I force inputs from RS Logix I can get it to update the Red Lion G310 HMI. However, I cannot press a button, that I have made via crimson 3.0 on the G310 HMI and have it send to RS Logix. For example if I press a button that I created I can't get it to force an input on my ladder diagram. So in essence the HMI is receiving but not sending.

Sorry I am not sure if this is the right place or the right forum just figured I would see if anyone could help or recommend someone.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You are missing loads of details, so I can only make broad suggestions. I don't even know if you're referring to the 500 or the 5000 series of Rockwell Software products. Or are you using the new Pico 800 series?

I also presume you're using the OPC-DA interface from RSLinx-Lite Classic, right? If not, download that from Rockwell Automation. It is free.

Configuring device drivers in an HMI is more complicated, obtuse, and ridiculous than it really ought to be. You need to recheck how that device driver was configured, and to ensure that you have write access to it. You also need to make sure that your device has a link to the OPC-DA point name.

More people get this detail wrong than anything else. It is a mess. The need for security is making this mess even worse. I have nothing nice to say about this situation except that native drivers are starting to look better and better all the time.

I am new to this stuff sorry about the lack of info. I can say I am using a 5000 series software from RS Logix, and I will try your suggestion tomorrow. Thanks for the help I wonder if its a programming issue instead of communciation I was disucussing this with a colleague who seems to think its fine and we just need to figure out the right commands

The 5000 series of PLC can be a monster of computational power for a control system. The more recent L70 series of controllers are designed for high speed motion control.

If you're using the RSLinx driver, first make sure you can see the device in your communication tree. If you can't, you don't have the driver properly configured. You should also ensure that the service is running properly. If you're using a serial interface, make sure that nothing else is using that serial interface. I can't tell you how many times that has been the case. Finally ensure that your services are all running as they're supposed to. The manuals on RSLinx have a lot more to say about this.

It sounds like you may be trying to get your HMI to change an input that is also controlled by a physical input. HMIs generally only write to a bit, not force the bit. So if you are trying to write to a bit that is a physical input ( e.g. Local:1:I.0) then it will become a race. The HMI will set the bit, but the input module will set the bit at its update rate (RPI). Since the PLC program scan is independent, it may or may not look at the bit after it was set by the HMI, but not cleared by the input module.

If you slow down your RPI of your input module, then you can start to see this effect. The slower the RPI, the better the chance the HMI input will work.

HMI buttons should only control dedicated tags and those tags put in parallel with the input contacts in the ladder logic.

Archie
www.advancedhmi.com

1. Why is my Red Lion HMI sending but not receiving data?

There could be several reasons why your Red Lion HMI is not receiving data. It could be due to a faulty connection, incorrect settings, or a hardware/software malfunction. You may need to troubleshoot the issue by checking all connections, verifying settings, and contacting technical support if needed.

2. How do I check the connection between my Red Lion HMI and the device it is communicating with?

To check the connection, you can use a network diagnostic tool or software provided by Red Lion to monitor the communication between the HMI and the device. You can also check the physical connections and make sure they are secure and properly configured.

3. What settings do I need to configure on my Red Lion HMI to ensure it can receive data?

The specific settings will depend on your HMI model and the device you are communicating with. Generally, you will need to configure the IP address, subnet mask, gateway, and the communication protocol (such as Modbus or Ethernet/IP) on your HMI to match the settings of the device it is communicating with.

4. Why is my Red Lion HMI only receiving partial data?

This could be due to a mismatch in the data format or length between the HMI and the device it is communicating with. Make sure that the data format and length are correctly configured on both ends to ensure full data transmission.

5. What can I do if my Red Lion HMI is still not receiving data after troubleshooting?

If you have checked all connections, verified settings, and confirmed that the device is functioning properly, you may need to contact technical support for further assistance. They can provide more in-depth troubleshooting and potentially replace the HMI if it is found to be faulty.