Attempting to fix my treadmill

• Thread starter ShibSta
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolves around a NordicTrack C2000 Treadmill that will not power on and the steps the individual has taken to troubleshoot the issue. They have checked the basic components, such as the outlet and circuit breaker, and have opened up the treadmill to find a red LED indicating that the control board is receiving power. However, the console still does not light up and the individual is unsure how to properly use a multimeter to troubleshoot further. They are seeking advice and guidance on how to properly fix the issue.
ShibSta
I have a NordicTrack C2000 Treadmill that won't power on, the console does not light up. I've done the basics; checked that the outlet it's plugged into does indeed have power flowing to it, the circuit breaker on the unit has been switched to the "Reset" position, and the key has been properly inserted. However, the unit still refuses to light up. After opening it up, I see that there is a red LED which remains solid when given power. According to the voltage diagram for the unit, this indicates that the controller is receiving 120 VAC and is functioning normally. However, the console still does not light up when the key is inserted and the buttons do not work either.

I've learned just about everything I know about computers by researching and solving my own problems over the years. I'm now a computer science major but I've yet to take any courses in physics. I've always wanted to get into electronics engineering and I figured repairing a treadmill or at least isolating and replacing the bad part(s) would be a place to start.

So anyway, the LED indicates that the control board is receiving power but not that the entire board is functioning properly. So, how do I find out if it's properly sending power to the consoles circuit board? There is an 8-pin connector that runs from the controller up through the arm of the treadmill and plugs into another 8-pin connector which is then soldered and glued onto the consoles main circuit board.

I have a multimeter, but aside from goofing around with it and a 9V battery, I don't know how to use it.

Engineering news on Phys.org
ShibSta said:
I have a NordicTrack C2000 Treadmill that won't power on, the console does not light up. I've done the basics; checked that the outlet it's plugged into does indeed have power flowing to it, the circuit breaker on the unit has been switched to the "Reset" position, and the key has been properly inserted. However, the unit still refuses to light up. After opening it up, I see that there is a red LED which remains solid when given power. According to the voltage diagram for the unit, this indicates that the controller is receiving 120 VAC and is functioning normally. However, the console still does not light up when the key is inserted and the buttons do not work either.

I've learned just about everything I know about computers by researching and solving my own problems over the years. I'm now a computer science major but I've yet to take any courses in physics. I've always wanted to get into electronics engineering and I figured repairing a treadmill or at least isolating and replacing the bad part(s) would be a place to start.

So anyway, the LED indicates that the control board is receiving power but not that the entire board is functioning properly. So, how do I find out if it's properly sending power to the consoles circuit board? There is an 8-pin connector that runs from the controller up through the arm of the treadmill and plugs into another 8-pin connector which is then soldered and glued onto the consoles main circuit board.

I have a multimeter, but aside from goofing around with it and a 9V battery, I don't know how to use it.

Welcome to the PF.

In general, you would need the Service Manual for the treadmill in order to troubleshoot it. You can try to see if you can buy one, but in my experience, the Service Manuals were only available to authorized Service Centers.

Beyond that, I don't think it's practical to fix it. I've taken a treadmill apart in an effort to fix it, and it was a mess. It was very hard to get to components, and the isolation between low voltage and high voltage (AC Mains) circuitry was not obvious at all. And that makes them pretty dangerous to work on.

Your best bet might be to try to find an experienced EE to try to help you in person. Especially if they have access to an electronics workshop with test equipment.

I have opened our up a few times ( usually just needs to be vacuumed out- it collects duct like crazy) - but agree with Berkman - these really are in the class of "no user serviceable parts inside" - based on your description - there may be a fuse on the control board - beyond that it would really require an experienced tech.

Well, I have the voltage diagram so I'm not going in completely blind...

I saw the fuse and it looked fine to me, did a continuity check on it too and got a reading.

According to the voltage diagram, the red lead sends 8-12 VDC to the console while the others (aside from the two grounds) send 5 VDC or less. So all the high voltage stuff is mainly on the control board going to the pulley and incline motors.

Also, the voltage diagram notes that "Digital multimeters may have difficulty measuring this signal and may only show a maximum of 1.5 VDC." Why might that be and how do I measure it?

Hi

I have exactly the same problem with my treadmill. Did you manage to fix it?

Thanks

Can you guys scan and post that diagram ? You're asking folks to shoot in the dark.

That's the trouble with computers they are sooooo difficult to troubleshoot.
In vacuum tube days you could look inside the glass tube to figure out which pin was what and from that you knew about what voltage to expect there.

Here's what you can do with it unplugged from the wall:
First brush all the dust off the circuit boards. Especially those really close-together pins around the IC's. Look with a magnifying glass for stuff between the pins.
Then check the things that tell it to not turn on - safety switches on the drive belt and handles. Could be as simple as a dust bunny in a microswitch actuator, or a wire broken off where it's soldered to something.

That's the good thing about embedded computers - they're mighty reliable, themselves.
It's the mechanical doodads they need to sense the real world that give most trouble.

you may have missed the major thread necromancy

MrSparkle said:
you may have missed the major thread necromancy

yes, both of us (sheepish grin icon)

I had the same problem with my c2000. LED lit up on Motor Control Board but no power to console. after spending money getting "qualified engineers" out I removed the 2 hex head bolts that attach the console to the hand rail bar, on the right hand side as you look at the machine if you are standing on the walking belt. also remove the screws from the middle of the rear of the console that holds it in place so that you can slightly lift the console away from the bar. you will see a cable that runs from the console down through the bar down to the main motor power board at the bottom. if you gently pull on this cable at the console end at the top of the bar you will see a connector. I found that as soon as i pulled out this cable a small bit there was a kink in the cable. i also checked the connector. i then switched the machine back on and everything powered up as usual and is now working fine. Hope this works for you! If not i would consider checking this cable from top to bottom before being told you have to buy a new console(£170)as i was.

What are the common problems with treadmills?

The most common problems with treadmills include a faulty motor, a worn-out belt, misaligned or damaged rollers, and electronic issues.

How do I know if my treadmill needs to be fixed?

If your treadmill is making strange noises, not starting, or giving inaccurate readings, it is likely in need of repairs.

Can I fix my treadmill myself?

It is not recommended to attempt to fix a treadmill yourself, as it can be dangerous and may void any warranty. It is best to seek professional help from a certified technician.

How much does it cost to fix a treadmill?

The cost of fixing a treadmill can vary depending on the specific issue and the brand of the treadmill. On average, repairs can range from $100 to $500.

How often should I get my treadmill serviced?

It is recommended to have your treadmill serviced at least once a year to prevent any major issues and ensure it is running smoothly.