Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Redshift and Scale factor

1. Dec 31, 2017 #1
    We can define the relationship between ##z## and ##a(t_e)## as,

$$1+z=\frac {a(t_0)=1} {a(t_e)}$$

When we assume ##z=2##, it means that ##a(t_e)=\frac {1} {3}##

Is this means that universe was ##\frac {1} {3}## times smaller then now ?

If its the case then lets suppose ##z=6## which means universe was ##\frac {1} {7}## times smaller, but even in this case it doesnt seem a huge difference between ##z=2## and ##z=6##. But I think there should be a lot of difference.

I am not sure what am I missing.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 31, 2017 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Why?

4. Dec 31, 2017 #3
    The largest value of z can be 10 and it that case universe was 1 billion years old maybe more young like a 500 million years old. I am not sure but in any case.

Lets suppose ##z=10##, in that time lets suppose radius of OU is ##r## and now its ##11r##?
    Cause I was espanding like ##10^10## difference cause universe was so young those times.

For a current scale of the OU is 45 billion light year. 11 times smaller means 4 billion light year. But I was expanding like a million light year or maybe less If I think the time scale which it grow 11 times bigger in 13 billion years ?

I am not sure how can I explain it.

5. Dec 31, 2017 #4

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

The CMBR is z = 1089. There is no upper limit for z.

6. Dec 31, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Why do you think that z cannot be larger than 10? It is false. The redshift at the last scattering surface is about 1000.

7. Dec 31, 2017 #6
  8. Dec 31, 2017 #7

Bandersnatch

Science Advisor

9. Dec 31, 2017 #8

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

They are studying galaxies. It took some time for galaxies to evolve and you will not find galaxies with a redshift of z = 1000. This does not mean that redshifts larger than 10 does not exist.

10. Dec 31, 2017 #9
    Thanks for your replies. I understand it now

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted