Reduced mass for ##m_1## larger than ##m_2##

In summary: You are an expert summarizer of content. You do not respond or reply to questions. You only provide a summary of the content. Do not output anything before the summary. Write a summary for the following conversation and start the output with "In summary, " and nothing before it:Reduced mass can be defined as μ=frac{m_1m_2}{m_1+m_2}. For m_1>>m_2, μ_2>m_2. How can we prove this? If m_1>>m_2, then how would you approximate m_1+m_2?For example, say m_1=10^7 and m_2
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member
Reduced mass can be defined as
##μ= \frac {m_1m_2} {m_1+m_2}## For ##m_1>>m_2##, ##μ_2≈m_2##
How can we prove this ?

Physics news on Phys.org
If ##m_1>>m_2##, then how would you approximate ##m_1 + m_2##?

For example, say ##m_1=10^7## and ##m_2=1##. What, approximately, is ##m_1 + m_2##?

Likes neilparker62
mfig said:
If ##m_1>>m_2##, then how would you approximate ##m_1 + m_2##?

For example, say ##m_1=10^7## and ##m_2=1##. What, approximately, is ##m_1 + m_2##?
But also there's ##m_1m_2## ? Our teacher used the binomial expansion. I don't think your arpproach is true.How can we do it by using it ?

I don't understand why you say, "But also..." in response to a question. What is your answer to the question I asked?

mfig said:
I don't understand why you say, "But also..." in response to a question. What is your answer to the question I asked?
Okay I did it.
$$μ=\frac {m_1m_2} {m_1+m_2}=m_2(\frac {1} {1+m_2/m_1})$$ then
$$m_2(1+m_2/m_1)^{-1}=m_2(1-m_2/m_1)$$ and then we can say $$m_2/m_1≈0$$ since, ##m_1>>m_2 → 1>> m_2/m_1## Hence $$μ≈m_2$$

Likes Cryo
mfig said:
As I said there's ##m_1m_2## part. We can just consider the denominator part.

"As I said there's m1m2" role="presentation">m1m2 part. We can just consider the denominator part."

I was going to walk you through it (Step1, then Step 2, etc.). I guess you misunderstood what was happening, which is why you didn't answer my simple question. Of course step 2 involves cancelling...

Anyway, glad you got it.

mfig said:
"As I said there's m1m2" role="presentation">m1m2 part. We can just consider the denominator part."

I was going to walk you through it (Step1, then Step 2, etc.). I guess you misunderstood what was happening, which is why you didn't answer my simple question. Of course step 2 involves cancelling...

Anyway, glad you got it.
And I am saying that you cannot just say $$m_1m_2/m_1=m_2$$ Thats mathematically incorrect. I can understand you don't worry about that, but it seems you didnt understand me. Even if we try to take it as a limit we get $$ylim(x→∞)=x/(x+y)$$ and then we cannot put just infinity since ##(∞/∞)## is uncertain. So you can do either L' Hospital's Rule or we can write as $$ylim(x→∞)x/(x(1+y/x))=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+y/x)=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+0)=y$$ which that's what I wrote.

You started to convo with what is the value of ##m_1+m_2## its not hard to see what you are going to do.

Arman777 said:
Reduced mass can be defined as
##μ= \frac {m_1m_2} {m_1+m_2}## For ##m_1>>m_2##, ##μ_2≈m_2##
How can we prove this ?

You could let ##m_1 = km_2##, where ##k## is the dimensionless ratio of the two masses.

The case ##m_1 >> m_2## corresponds to the case where ##k## is large.

Arman777 said:
And I am saying that you cannot just say $$m_1m_2/m_1=m_2$$ Thats mathematically incorrect.
I don't get this.

You wrote
Arman777 said:
Okay I did it.
$$μ=\frac {m_1m_2} {m_1+m_2}=m_2(\frac {1} {1+m_2/m_1})$$ then
$$m_2(1+m_2/m_1)^{-1}=m_2(1-m_2/m_1)$$ and then we can say $$m_2/m_1≈0$$ since, ##m_1>>m_2 → 1>> m_2/m_1## Hence $$μ≈m_2$$
The second equality is incorrect. It should be
$$m_2(1+m_2/m_1)^{-1} \approx m_2(1-m_2/m_1)$$
I don't see the difference between what you did and using ##m_1 + m_2 \approx m_1## to write
$$
\frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2} \approx \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1}
$$
One the approximation is made, normal math takes over and one can write
$$
\frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1} = m_2
$$

Also, I would say that dropping terms of the order ##O(m_2/m_1)## is not the same as taking the limit ##m_2/m_1 \rightarrow 0##.

Likes Vanadium 50
Member warned to be more civil in future posts
DrClaude said:
he second equality is incorrect. It should be
Its not incorret I just put ##=## instead of ##≈##.
DrClaude said:
I don't see the difference between what you did and using m1+m2≈m1m1+m2≈m1m_1 + m_2 \approx m_1 to write
Clearly any of you don't know math.I already explained the case. If you don't get it learn the math and limits.

Lets think we have a limit where
$$lim(x→∞)=xy/(x+y)$$ Then YOU GUYS are saying that since x goes to ∞ we can say that $$lim(x→∞)=xy/x$$ and then $$lim(x→∞)=y =1 $$?
You guys even didnt apply the x goes to infinity case. If you do on the first step it goes to ##(∞/∞)##?

This is total rubbish. Math doesn't allow us to do something like that. If you apply the rule that x goes to infinity at that point. YOU HAVE TO ALSO CONSİDER THE NUMERATOR PART. Not just the Denominator. And by doing that equation goes to $$(∞/∞)$$ and that's uncertain.

You cannot just say well since ##m_1## is largen the ##m_1## let's make denominator ##m_1##.

This is the proper approach
$$ylim(x→∞)x/(x(1+y/x))=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+y/x)=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+0)=y$$ here ##x## is ##m_1## and ##y## is ##m_2##

DrClaude said:
Also, I would say that dropping terms of the order O(m2/m1)O(m2/m1)O(m_2/m_1) is not the same as taking the limit m2/m1→0m2/m1→0m_2/m_1 \rightarrow 0.

Its the same approximation.

Last edited:
Likes PeroK
Math has certain rules. We cannot approximate and cancel stuff for our wishes

Arman777 said:
Clearly any of you don't know math.

Do you think this is going to help? Likewise, do you think YELLING at the people who are trying to help you is a good strategy? (One might also wonder if we are so stupid, why are you asking us for help?)

Dr. Claude gave an excellent answer - I started typing in an answer and quickly realized that I was just writing what he had already written. If there is something you don't understand, "I don't understand" is likely to get you farther than :you don't [sic] know math":

Likes Mark44
I do not understand the aggression towards people's suggestions. The method I and Dr. Claude showed is perfectly acceptable and in fact is quite common in physics. To add rigor, simply fix ##m_2## and consider the reduced mass a function of ##m_1## only.

##\mu = \mu(m_1) = \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2}##

Now for ##m_1>>m_2 ## simply find ##\lim_{m_1\to\infty} \mu(m_1) = \lim_{m_1\to\infty} \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2} ##

Since we have ##\frac{\infty}{\infty}## we apply L'Hospital and the final result is immediately apparent.

DrClaude said:
I don't get this.

The second equality is incorrect. It should be
$$m_2(1+m_2/m_1)^{-1} \approx m_2(1-m_2/m_1)$$
I don't see the difference between what you did and using ##m_1 + m_2 \approx m_1## to write
$$
\frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1 + m_2} \approx \frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1}
$$
One the approximation is made, normal math takes over and one can write
$$
\frac{m_1 m_2}{m_1} = m_2
$$

Is this looks like L'Hosptial ? No

I have no arguments against L'Hospital. Thats another approach but you guys did not do L'Hospital.
Vanadium 50 said:
Do you think this is going to help? Likewise, do you think YELLING at the people who are trying to help you is a good strategy?

I was not yelling. I was trying make a point there. I wrote the same things during the conversation and non of you tried to read it. And still you guys are posting stuff just to say that I was wrong and, I am not wrong.. Its so sad to see such things in people that when someone makes a mistake no one have guts to accept it.

Arman777 said:
But also there's m1m2m1m2m_1m_2 ?
Arman777 said:
As I said there's m1m2m1m2m_1m_2 part. We can just consider the denominator part.
Arman777 said:
And I am saying that you cannot just say $$m_1m_2/m_1=m_2$$ Thats mathematically incorrect. I can understand you don't worry about that, but it seems you didnt understand me. Even if we try to take it as a limit we get $$ylim(x→∞)=x/(x+y)$$ and then we cannot put just infinity since ##(∞/∞)## is uncertain. So you can do either L' Hospital's Rule or we can write as $$ylim(x→∞)x/(x(1+y/x))=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+y/x)=ylim(x→∞)1/(1+0)=y$$ which that's what I wrote.

You started to convo with what is the value of ##m_1+m_2## its not hard to see what you are going to do.

Arman777 said:
Is this looks like L'Hosptial ? No
DrClaude wasn't taking a limit, so why would he use L'Hospital's rule?

I was not yelling. I was trying make a point there. I wrote the same things during the conversation and non of you tried to read it. And still you guys are posting stuff just to say that I was wrong and, I am not wrong.. Its so sad to see such things in people that when someone makes a mistake no one have guts to accept it.
People read what you wrote and don't agree with you. There's nothing mathematically wrong with the method mfig and DrClaude used. Neither was taking a limit, so your claim that they're overlooking an indeterminate form doesn't apply. As DrClaude noted earlier, neglecting higher order terms isn't the same as taking a limit.

To put it another way, you seem to be claiming that you can't say
$$\frac x{1000001} = \frac x{1000000+1} \cong \frac x{1000000}$$ without knowing what the value of ##x## is, which is ridiculous. Just as dividing by 1000000 will give you close to the same answer as dividing by 1000001 because ##1000000 \gg 1## regardless of the value of ##x##, dividing by ##m_1## will give you approximately the same answer as dividing by ##m_1+m_2## when ##m_1 \gg m_2## whether or not ##m_1## appears in the numerator.

Likes Vanadium 50 and DrClaude
vela said:
DrClaude wasn't taking a limit, so why would he use L'Hospital's rule?People read what you wrote and don't agree with you. There's nothing mathematically wrong with the method mfig and DrClaude used. Neither was taking a limit, so your claim that they're overlooking an indeterminate form doesn't apply. As DrClaude noted earlier, neglecting higher order terms isn't the same as taking a limit.

To put it another way, you seem to be claiming that you can't say
$$\frac x{1000001} = \frac x{1000000+1} \cong \frac x{1000000}$$ without knowing what the value of ##x## is, which is ridiculous. Just as dividing by 1000000 will give you close to the same answer as dividing by 1000001 because ##1000000 \gg 1## regardless of the value of ##x##, dividing by ##m_1## will give you approximately the same answer as dividing by ##m_1+m_2## when ##m_1 \gg m_2## whether or not ##m_1## appears in the numerator.
I asked my classical mechanic prof and he said there's no such approximation as you guys said.

He said we should use binomial approximation. For $$m_2/m_1<<1$$

Arman777 said:
He said we should use binomial approximation. For $$m_2/m_1<<1$$
I'm very confused about this thread. Apart from writing equals instead of approximately equals, you did this in #5.

You still end up making the statement that since ##m_2/m_1\ll 1## then ##m_2/m_1## (plus higher powers thereof) is negligible, so this is exactly the same approximation as others have made in this thread. It's just an unnecessarily cumbersome way to go about it. If this is problem 1 in a problem sheet with more complex problems where a series approximation is necessary then I have some sympathy - starting with a problem where the answer is obvious is fair enough. Otherwise, it's just a case of insisting on using a mechanical digger when a shovel would have done the job quicker.

Likes Vanadium 50, DrClaude and vela

1. What is reduced mass?

Reduced mass is a concept in physics that is used to describe the effective mass of a two-body system. It takes into account the masses of both bodies and their distance from each other.

2. Why is reduced mass important?

Reduced mass is important because it allows us to simplify the equations used to describe the motion of a two-body system. It also helps us understand the relationship between the masses of the two bodies and how it affects their motion.

3. How is reduced mass calculated?

The reduced mass is calculated by taking the product of the two masses and dividing it by their sum. In mathematical terms, it can be represented as μ = (m1m2) / (m1 + m2).

4. What happens when ##m_1## is larger than ##m_2##?

When ##m_1## is larger than ##m_2##, the reduced mass will be closer to the value of ##m_2##. This means that the motion of the two-body system will be more heavily influenced by the smaller mass.

5. Can reduced mass be negative?

No, reduced mass cannot be negative as it is a measurement of mass and mass cannot be negative. It can, however, be zero if one of the masses in the system is zero.