Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reducing the conductivity of silanol group

1. Oct 23, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I am performiong electromosis into glass channels and I would like to reduce the silanol group conductivity. I am not an expert in surface treatment and I only know treatment with OTS but it makes the cannel become too hydrophobiac to use aquaeous solutions and that's hat I am using.
    Any body has an idea?

Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 28, 2009 #2

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Try heating the glass to condense the silanol groups by removing water.

-Si-OH + HO-Si- ---> Si-O-Si + H2O

4. Oct 29, 2009 #3
    but would not heating cause extra damages to the glass before the silanol groups condense? I mean in this form glass is pretty stable and you will have to heat at high temperature won't you?

5. Oct 29, 2009 #4
    another really important that I forgot to mention is that the silanol groups create a double layer in my system by exchanging protons so I need to keep protons which I do not if I condense silanol groups.

6. Nov 1, 2009 #5

chemisttree

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

How much to heat and for how long appears to be a unique set of parameters for your problem. You will need to keep some but perhaps not all?

BTW treatment with OTS will remove the silanol groups as well... bye, bye double layer!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook