Reduction of a ketone using zinc in acetic acid

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 9K views
mycotheology
Messages
86
Reaction score
0
I'm going to be giving a 1st year student chemistry tutoring so I'm going over some of his past exam papers to make sure I know all the stuff but I'm already at a question I can't do:
http://img571.imageshack.us/img571/5716/26705030.png
So from the formula, I can see that the degree of unsaturation for the compound is 2. there's at least one C=C bond in there but the oxygen could either be a carbonyl group or an alcohol. Seeing as it reacts with H2SO4, I assume its an alcohol and the reaction it undergoes is an acid catalysed dehydration of the -OH group. This will yield the alkene. Then ozonolysis breaks the alkene into 2 ketones or aldehydes. Its the final part that has me confused. I don't know what this zinc reduction is and how it could convert ketones or aldehydes into a cyclic ketone.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
See here.
Also, ozonolysis doesn't produce the ketone directly. The trioxolane it produces requires a reductive workup.
 
Last edited:
Thanks. Ozonolysis is an even more useful reaction than I thought, I didn't know you can get different products depending on the workup.
 
So, do you have an idea about the structures of A,B and the starting material?
 
Yeah, the starting compound is two cyclopentane rings bridged by a sigma bond. There is a hydroxyl group attached to one of the bridge carbons. The acid catalysed dehydration either turns the bridge into a double bond (ozonolysis of this product yields 2 molecules of cyclopentanone) or else turns a neighbouring bond into a double bond (ozonolysis of this one yields a molecule with an aldehyde at one end of the chain, a ketone in the middle and a cyclopentane ring at the other end of the chain). Thats a tricky question for a 1st year exam paper in my opinion. The rest of the questions were fairly straightforward, but that one would have definitely caught me out in first year. I tried explaining this to the guy I was tutoring but he didn't know about acid catalysed dehydrations and was only vaguely familiar with ozonolysis reactions so I just taught him about ozonolysis reactions and moved onto the next question.
 
Last edited:
That's what I thought as well and you're right about that being a tricky question for first semester O-chem.