Reduction of differential equations then numerical methods

In summary, the conversation discusses using the Runge-Kutta 1st order numerical approximation method to solve a differential system for bungee jumping. The method involves using a system of first order differential equations and a 3x3 matrix, and can be implemented in a spreadsheet. The person encountered issues with the method and step size, but eventually resolved the problem.
danielL

Homework Statement

I have a function that attempts to imitate the internal forces of the cord used for bungee jumping. I have been told to resolve it using Runge-Kutta 1st order numerical aproximation, therefore i have to reduce it to a system of equations. The preffered Runge-Kutta method is euler forward: y1 = y0 + k1 where k1 = h*f(y0). Plus I have to do this in a spreadsheet.

Homework Equations

M*q''(t)+K*q(t)=b(t)

Where M and K are 3x3 matrix and k and b are vectors with 3 components

The Attempt at a Solution

If I make q'(t) = v(t)
then v'(t) = M^(-1)*[b(t)-K*q(t)]

i can divide v'(t) = M^(-1)*b(t)+[-M^(-1)*K*q(t)]
and then obtain a vector plus matriz to solve it. My problem is that i don't know how to take the data from the matriz and apply it.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Your differential system (written as a system of first order differential equations) is:

[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{1c}
q' \\
v' \\
\end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{1c} v(t) \\ M^{-1}b(t)-M^{-1}Kq(t) \\\end{array} \right]

[/tex]And so your Runge-Kutta numerical method is:

[tex]
\left[ \begin{array}{1c}
q_{n+1} \\
v_{n+1} \\
\end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{1c} v_{n} \\ M^{-1}b(t_{n})-M^{-1}Kq_{n} \\\end{array} \right]

[/tex]

supposedly you have the intial values vo, qo, so you go on generating the solution at the mesh points ti=i*h, where h is your step-size. The matrix M is constant so all you have to do is invert it and use it as I've indicated above to generate your numerical solution . . . in your spreadsheet go on generating the solution for each time step in a new row of cells based on the value of the previous time step which you take from the previous row of cells and the values of the components of K, M^(-1) and b which you store in a separate set of cells (you can evaluate b(tn) in a separate cell at each time step) , . . . um, I'm not sure if I understand your question altogether lol.

Yeah actually i read my message back, and it was kind of funny, my problem was that the graph didn't end up the way i was told it was supposed to look like. Ended up being a problem of both the method selected and the step i had chosen, fixed those and it fell into place.

I'll attach it when i get home in case anyone else was pondering the problem, thanks for responding

Oh I see, okay:) yes, the numerical method you chose is an explicit one and has a certain region of absolute stability that limits the step-size you can use for it to work well . . .
glad you sorted it out :)

yeah that was exactly the problem, function went haywire
thanks for the support

1. What is the purpose of reducing differential equations?

Reducing differential equations involves simplifying a complex equation into a more manageable form. This allows for easier analysis and helps in finding analytical or numerical solutions.

2. What are some common methods used for reducing differential equations?

Some common methods used for reducing differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors.

3. What are numerical methods for solving differential equations?

Numerical methods for solving differential equations involve approximating the solution by using a sequence of values. Examples include Euler's method, Runge-Kutta method, and finite difference method.

4. How do numerical methods differ from analytical methods in solving differential equations?

Analytical methods involve finding an exact solution to the differential equation, while numerical methods provide an approximate solution by using iterative calculations.

5. When should numerical methods be used instead of analytical methods for solving differential equations?

Numerical methods should be used when the differential equation is too complex or does not have an analytical solution. They are also useful when the equation involves variables that cannot be separated or when the initial conditions are not known.