1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reduction of differential equations then numerical methods

1. Jun 7, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have a function that attempts to imitate the internal forces of the cord used for bungee jumping. I have been told to resolve it using Runge-Kutta 1st order numerical aproximation, therefore i have to reduce it to a system of equations. The preffered Runge-Kutta method is euler forward: y1 = y0 + k1 where k1 = h*f(y0). Plus I have to do this in a spreadsheet.

2. Relevant equations

M*q''(t)+K*q(t)=b(t)

Where M and K are 3x3 matrix and k and b are vectors with 3 components

3. The attempt at a solution

If I make q'(t) = v(t)
    then v'(t) = M^(-1)*[b(t)-K*q(t)]

i can divide v'(t) = M^(-1)*b(t)+[-M^(-1)*K*q(t)]
    and then obtain a vector plus matriz to solve it. My problem is that i dont know how to take the data from the matriz and apply it.

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 8, 2009 #2
    Your differential system (written as a system of first order differential equations) is:

[tex]
    \left[ \begin{array}{1c}
    q' \\
    v' \\
    \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{1c} v(t) \\ M^{-1}b(t)-M^{-1}Kq(t) \\\end{array} \right]

[/tex]

And so your Runge-Kutta numerical method is:

[tex]
    \left[ \begin{array}{1c}
    q_{n+1} \\
    v_{n+1} \\
    \end{array} \right] = \left[ \begin{array}{1c} v_{n} \\ M^{-1}b(t_{n})-M^{-1}Kq_{n} \\\end{array} \right]

[/tex]

supposedly you have the intial values vo, qo, so you go on generating the solution at the mesh points ti=i*h, where h is your step-size. The matrix M is constant so all you have to do is invert it and use it as I've indicated above to generate your numerical solution . . . in your spreadsheet go on generating the solution for each time step in a new row of cells based on the value of the previous time step which you take from the previous row of cells and the values of the components of K, M^(-1) and b which you store in a separate set of cells (you can evaluate b(tn) in a seperate cell at each time step) , . . . um, I'm not sure if I understand your question altogether lol.

4. Jun 8, 2009 #3
    Yeah actually i read my message back, and it was kind of funny, my problem was that the graph didn't end up the way i was told it was supposed to look like. Ended up being a problem of both the method selected and the step i had chosen, fixed those and it fell into place.

I'll attach it when i get home in case anyone else was pondering the problem, thanks for responding

5. Jun 8, 2009 #4
    Oh I see, okay:) yes, the numerical method you chose is an explicit one and has a certain region of absolute stability that limits the step-size you can use for it to work well . . .
    glad you sorted it out :)

6. Jun 8, 2009 #5
    yeah that was exactly the problem, function went haywire
    thanks for the support

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook