Refer me to a book of calculus to clear the basic concepts

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
Arqam Habib Khan
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Can anyone refer me a good book for calculus from which i can clear the basic concepts.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
George F. Simmons' Calculus with Analytic Geometry will suit your need as the explanations are clear and quite basic.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: The_Eternal_Observer
Simmons is good, maybe try Thomas/Finnly: Calculus with analytical geometry 9th ed.
Serge Lang Calculus is also nice.

I found Simmons good, however, the explanation of sequence and series was lacking.
 
MidgetDwarf said:
Simmons is good, maybe try Thomas/Finnly: Calculus with analytical geometry 9th ed.
Serge Lang Calculus is also nice.

I found Simmons good, however, the explanation of sequence and series was lacking.

I like Lang too but I feel like the book does not have many exercises. Simmons does have huge amount of problems (each of them are very well-crafted) that are designed to connect one concept from another. I think the explanation for series and sequence was adequate in a level of non-rigorousness.
 
I'm learning calculus from a combination of A First Course by Lang and Calculus with Analytical Geometry by Thomas, and it's been working really well for me so far. I also have a book by Morris Kline that has nice explanations, but I think using three resources is a bit too much.
 
I like the very clear and elementary explanations in this book, as an introduction. I am assuming you know nothing about calculus, or are struggling in a beginning course. If you meant you already know computational calculus and want to plumb the deeper foundations, then other books are in order, like Spivak or Courant and John:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0812098196/?tag=pfamazon01-20