Reflection and transmission of waves

In summary, you clapped your hands and detected an echo that lasted 0.407 sec. You were located on the river surface and relative to the canyon walls. The speed of sound in 20 degree Celsius air is 343 m/s.
begbeg42

Homework Statement

A river canyon is 147 m across as shown in Figure P.32. You are located on the river surface and clap your hands once to generate a brief acoustic pulse. You detect a time interval of 0.407 s between the twin echoes recorded on tape, analyzed when back home (?) in a physics lab. Where were you relative to the canyon walls? (Neglect multiple echoes.)

Answer is m (from the closer wall)

Homework Equations

Not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

not sure

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi begbeg42! :wink:

Show us what you've tried, and where you're stuck, and then we'll know how to help! :smile:

is this problem anything like where you drop a rock into a well and hear the sound ___ sec. later and have to find the depth? I know how to do this...but this problem confuses me b/c it involves horizontal distances...

I know the speed of sound in 20 degree Celsius air is 343 m/s
I'm not sure physically/intuitively what .407 sec. actually means? is it the time it takes you to hear the echo after you clap?

im utterly baffled. and yes I have read about reflections of sound/echoes etc.
sorry...and any guidance is appreciated

Horizontal and vertical are the same …

but in this case you have two sounds, the .407 s is the gap between the two echoes :smile:

t1(sound to travel to wall) + t1(sound to return to you)=a=2t(sound to travel to wall)
t2(sound to travel to wall) + t2(sound to return to you)=b=2t(sound to travel to wall)
4t(sound to travel to wall)=0.407 sec?
t(sound to travel to wall)=.407/4?

d(to wall)=343(.407/4)=34.9...which seems plausible but

i mean this seems too simple...how does the actual width of the canyon=147 m come into play?

Last edited:
Draw a diagram

what is a + b?

what is a - b? :smile:

t(echo1) - t(echo2)=0.407
t(echo1)=t(sound to travel to wall) + t(reflected sound to return to you)
t(echo2)=?

d(from wall)=343t(sound to travel to wall)

does the sound hit the wall, return to you, and then bounce back or...how exactly is the second echo produced?

begbeg42 said:
does the sound hit the wall, return to you, and then bounce back or...how exactly is the second echo produced?

ah … you're not getting this canyon thing, are you?

there are two walls … one echo comes from each wall.

Try again! :smile:

wow...sorry about that

i got it anyways...took me awhile, though I don't know why

thanks anyways!

1. What is the difference between reflection and transmission of waves?

Reflection of waves occurs when a wave bounces off a surface and changes direction, while transmission of waves occurs when a wave passes through a boundary and continues on its original path.

2. What factors affect the amount of reflection and transmission of waves?

The amount of reflection and transmission of waves is affected by the angle of incidence, the properties of the medium the wave is traveling through, and the properties of the boundary the wave encounters.

3. How do waves behave when they encounter a boundary?

When waves encounter a boundary, they can either be reflected, transmitted, or a combination of both. The behavior of the wave is dependent on the properties of the medium and the angle at which the wave approaches the boundary.

4. Can reflection and transmission of waves be controlled?

Yes, the amount of reflection and transmission of waves can be controlled by altering the properties of the medium or the angle of incidence. This is how materials such as mirrors and lenses are able to manipulate waves.

5. What are some real-life applications of reflection and transmission of waves?

Reflection and transmission of waves have many practical applications, including in the fields of optics, acoustics, and telecommunications. For example, mirrors use reflection to create images, lenses use transmission to focus light, and antennas use both processes to transmit and receive signals.