Physics 20 Waves and Motion Questions?

In summary, the tourist shouts across a canyon and the sound wave travels at 350 m/s and reflects off the opposite rock wall. The echo is heard 0.981 s later. To calculate the width of the canyon, the formula used is 350/1=x/0.981, resulting in a width of 171.675m. The formula for the period of a pendulum with small angles is T=2 π√m/k. To derive the formula for "m", basic algebra is used to get m = (T/2π)^2 k.
mintyyf

Homework Statement

A tourist shouts across a canyon. The sound wave she creates travels at 350 m/s across the canyon and reflects off the opposite rock wall. She hears the echo 0.981 s after she shouts. Calculate the width of the canyon.

Homework Equations

Im not sure what the formula is really called, but you guys know what cross multiply and divide is, right? X1/X2 = Y1/Y2

The Attempt at a Solution

350/1=x/0.981 (where we solve for "x" where 350 is in meters and 1 , and 0.981 is in seconds )
I got 343.35m as the answer, which means that the distance from the person, to the wall, and back is the distance i wrote, so if i divide it by 2, will that be the width of the canyon?
343.35/2=171.675m the width of the canyon.

The next one is

Homework Statement

The formula for the period of a pendulum with small angles is
T=2 π√m/k
Derive the formula for "m"

Homework Equations

T=2 π√m/k

The Attempt at a Solution

I know i had to do some basic algebra, so
T = 2 π√m/k
T/2π = √m/k
(T/2π)^2 = m/k
(T/2π)^2 k = m
m = (T/2π)^2 k
Is this the right formula for "m" i am really bad at algebra!
Thank You for any help! This is my first post, i just inherited this account from my sister who doesn't use it anymore!

Physics news on Phys.org
it takes 0.981s for the sound to travel 2W and the sound is traveling at 350m/sNot sure exactly what your second question wants. If it is just in terms of m instead of the period then you're right

What is the difference between a transverse and longitudinal wave?

A transverse wave is a type of wave where the particles of the medium move perpendicular to the direction of energy transfer. Examples of transverse waves include light waves and water waves. On the other hand, a longitudinal wave is a type of wave where the particles of the medium move parallel to the direction of energy transfer. Examples of longitudinal waves include sound waves and earthquake waves.

What is the relationship between wavelength, frequency, and velocity?

Wavelength, frequency, and velocity are all related by the equation v = λf, where v is the velocity of the wave, λ is the wavelength, and f is the frequency. This means that as the wavelength increases, the frequency decreases, and vice versa. The velocity of a wave is also dependent on the properties of the medium through which the wave travels.

What is the difference between speed and velocity?

Speed is a scalar quantity that refers to the rate at which an object moves, while velocity is a vector quantity that refers to the rate at which an object moves in a specific direction. In other words, speed only measures the magnitude of the movement, while velocity measures both the magnitude and direction of the movement.

How does amplitude affect the energy of a wave?

Amplitude refers to the maximum displacement of a particle in a wave from its equilibrium position. The larger the amplitude of a wave, the more energy it carries. This is because the amplitude is directly proportional to the amount of energy being transferred by the wave.

What is the principle of superposition in wave interactions?

The principle of superposition states that when two or more waves interact, the resulting wave is the sum of the individual waves. This means that the displacement of any point in the resulting wave is equal to the sum of the displacements of the individual waves at that point. This principle is important in understanding wave interference and standing waves.