1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection coefficient of the step function potential

1. Mar 8, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider the step function potential: [tex]V(x) = \{ \begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {0,(x \le 0)} \\
    {V_0 ,(x > 0)} \\
    \end{array}[/tex],Caculate the reflection coefficient,for the case E<V0,and comment on the answer

2. Relevant equations
    [tex] - \frac{{\hbar ^2 }}{{2m}}\frac{{d^2 \psi }}{{dx^2 }} + V_0 \psi = E\psi [/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    when x<=0,let [tex]k = \frac{{\sqrt {2mE} }}{\hbar }[/tex],then [tex]\psi (x) = Ae^{kxi} + Be^{ - kxi} [/tex],if x>0,then let [tex]l = \frac{{\sqrt {2m(V_0 - E)} }}{\hbar }[/tex],and [tex]\psi (x) = De^{ - lx} [/tex]

Then how do we explain it?The funtion is real in the right

Last edited: Mar 8, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2010 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

So far, all you've done is written down the solutions to the wave equation in two regions. What's the next step? What's the definition of the reflection coefficient?

4. Mar 9, 2010 #3
    In the book,if psi(x) is not real in the right and left,then we can find the transmission and reflection coefficient.But in this question,it's not all complex.

definition of the reflection coefficient?You must know Quantum Tunneliing.it that one

5. Mar 9, 2010 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I know what the reflection coefficient is. It's not clear to me that you did from your initial post.

It doesn't matter if all the solutions are not complex. The next step is the same: match the wavefunction and its derivative at the boundary.

6. Mar 9, 2010 #5
    Thanks very much.But why?how should we think about it?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook