1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Reflection of light off film, wavelength and thickness?

1. Sep 10, 2008 #1
    What is the thinnest film of MgF2 (n = 1.39) on glass that produces a strong reflection for light with a wavelength of 680 nm?

This is the exact question I am faced with. I didn't really know where to begin so I tried using the ratio of n-air/wavelength to n-film/(new wavelength) to try and find the original wavelength. I found that, and really didn't know where to go then. I have looked around, and I just can't seem to find anything. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 10, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi mithraz87,

From your post, I was wondering if you asking what type of problem this is? This problem is dealing with the interference by thin film; I would think that your textbook has at least a section devoted to the topic with some examples.

You can also look at http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/phyopt/thinfilm.html#c1

Does that help? If you are still stuck, post what you have tried.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?