Calculate Refraction of Red Light Wavelength 750nm

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the wavelength of red light in a liquid given its angle of incidence and reflection, using the equation n1sin theta1 = n2sin theta2. The resulting answer is 349nm.
shorty_47_2000
Red light travels from air into liquid at an angle of incidence of 39 degrees and an angle of reflection of 17 degrees. Calculate the wavelength of the red light in the liquid if it's wavelength in the air is 750nm. If someone coule tell me how to go about this question that would be very helpful, thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I believe you use n1sin theta1 = n2sin theta2 to find out the index of refraction for the liquid and then use n = wavelength1/wavelength2

Dang i need to learn how to use latex.

Thanks for the equation, the answer I received was 349nm. I think that sounds about right.

1. What is refraction?

Refraction is the bending of light as it passes through different mediums, such as air, water, or glass. This bending occurs due to the change in speed of light as it travels through these mediums.

2. How is the refraction of red light wavelength 750nm calculated?

The refraction of any light wavelength can be calculated using Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the velocities of light in the two mediums. In this case, the angle of incidence and the velocity of light in air are known, and the angle of refraction can be calculated to determine the refraction of red light wavelength 750nm.

3. What is the angle of incidence?

The angle of incidence is the angle at which light rays hit the boundary between two mediums. In this case, it is the angle at which the red light wavelength 750nm hits the boundary between air and another medium, such as water or glass.

4. How does the refraction of red light wavelength 750nm differ in different mediums?

The amount of refraction of red light wavelength 750nm will differ in different mediums due to the difference in their refractive indices. Refractive index is a measure of how much a medium can bend light, with higher refractive indices resulting in more bending. Therefore, the refraction of red light wavelength 750nm will be greater in a medium with a higher refractive index, such as glass, compared to a medium with a lower refractive index, such as air.

5. Why is the refraction of red light wavelength 750nm important?

The refraction of red light wavelength 750nm is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of light as it travels through different mediums. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as optics, astronomy, and meteorology. It also has practical applications, such as in the design of lenses and mirrors for various optical instruments.