1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Refractive Index of Optical Fibre Core and Cladding

1. Sep 28, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to find the refractive indexes of the core and cladding of an optical fibre by using the specs found here http://www.photonics.byu.edu/FiberOpticConnectors.parts/images/smf28.pdf Then I'm suppose to calculate the Numerical aperture and compare it with the one listed.

2. Relevant equations

None that I'm aware of

3. The attempt at a solution

I have tried reading the specs but can't seem to find any that would help me solve the index of refraction. Does anyone have an idea?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 28, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Is Effective Group Index of Refraction no help? (I know nothing about fibre optics, so am guessing.)

4. Sep 29, 2012 #3

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I do not think so. The effective index of refraction is connected to the speed of propagation of the optical signal along the cable, which depends on the refractive index of cable and cladding, but also on the geometry and structure of the cable. The effective refractive index is important for the user, the detail of the built-up is the secret of the manufacturer. :smile:

ehild

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook