Multipath dispersion in fibre optic cable

In summary, the question is about the multipath dispersion of a pulse of light in an optical fiber and the proposed solution involves reducing the width of the fiber and making the cladding closer to the core refractive index. The asker has attempted to solve the problem mathematically but is unsure about the validity of the given solution. They are seeking help in understanding where their calculations may have gone wrong.
MalachiK

Homework Statement

I saw this question on this forum

Multipath dispersion of a pulse of light in an optical fiber.
How is this problem solved?

and the answer given

Multipath dispersion is can be solved by:

1) Making the fibre (core) very narrow.

2) By making the cladding which surrounds the core very close to the core refractive index. The closer the two refractive indexes the better as any light that is less than a certain angle will be lost therefore only light that is at the right angle, preferably straight to the optical fibre, reaches the receiver.

At first I thought that it was obvious why reducing the width of the fibre would reduce the multipath dispersion. But having tried the problem with maths, I'm not so sure.

Can anyone tell me where my maths has gone wrong?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to calculate the maximum possible path difference along a fibre of length l and width d that has a maximim transmission angle of to the normal of the core cladding boundary [tex]\theta[/tex]. I've come up with an expression for this path difference in terms of the length of the fibre... <Attached are my scribbles> (L is the longest path and [tex]\Delta[/tex]L is the greatest possible path difference.)

The problem with this is that the maximum path difference is independant of the width of the fibre and depends only on the angle..

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 756
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
which means that reducing the width of the fibre does not reduce the maximum path difference. This makes me think that the solution given in the answer is wrong. Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you!

1. What is multipath dispersion in fibre optic cable?

Multipath dispersion is a phenomenon that occurs in fibre optic cables when multiple light signals travel through different paths in the cable and arrive at the receiver at different times. This can lead to distortion and degradation of the transmitted signal.

2. What causes multipath dispersion in fibre optic cable?

Multipath dispersion is caused by imperfections in the fibre optic cable, such as bends, splices, or variations in the refractive index of the core material. These imperfections cause light signals to travel at different speeds and arrive at the receiver at different times.

3. How does multipath dispersion affect the performance of fibre optic systems?

Multipath dispersion can cause distortion and attenuation of the transmitted signal, leading to errors and decreased performance of the fibre optic system. It can also limit the bandwidth and data transmission rate of the system.

4. How is multipath dispersion mitigated in fibre optic systems?

There are several techniques used to mitigate multipath dispersion in fibre optic systems. These include using high-quality fibre optic cables with minimal imperfections, implementing equalization and dispersion compensation methods, and using advanced modulation techniques.

5. Can multipath dispersion be completely eliminated?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate multipath dispersion in fibre optic systems. However, it can be minimized to a level where it does not significantly affect the performance of the system by using high-quality components and advanced techniques for compensation and equalization.